Talk

Advanced search

23 month DS can kick and throw with both hands and feet...normal? And when does one become dominant?

(7 Posts)
harkharkhark Sun 04-Nov-12 12:54:30

I would say DS is more left handed than right; but can switch. And can kick a ball and throw well from both hands and feet.

Firstly, is this normal?!

And secondly, when does one become dominant?

Tee2072 Sun 04-Nov-12 13:47:00

Totally normal.

My 3.5 year old still doesn't really have a dominant hand. He does most things right handed, but not everything and not all the time.

Orangelephantshavewrinkles Sun 04-Nov-12 17:16:19

That's normal from about three up to about six. Boys tend tobe later than girls in dominance. They have a dominant eye, foot and hand. When they can cross their middle line (this is when you draw a long line from left to right going across the body. Children who can do this without swapping hands have hand dominance.

Orangelephantshavewrinkles Sun 04-Nov-12 17:17:52

Sorry that should say from left to right or right to left dependant on the hand they put chalk or crayon in.

DeWe Sun 04-Nov-12 19:10:12

I didn't have a dominate hand for writing until I was about 6 or 7. I still do a lot of things with either hand. Occasionally it causes me problems (never can decide which was is comfortable for peeling potatoes-both feel not quite right) but most of the time it is useful.

The only one of mine who had a dominate hand before age 4.6yo was dd2 and as she was born without her left hand that wasn't really surprising. Although she did go through a stage of telling people she was left handed to see their reaction. grin

mycatlikestwiglets Mon 05-Nov-12 10:47:48

22 mo DS is the same, I particularly notice it whilst he's eating as he seems to be equally happy with a spoon in either hand (he likes having something in each hand when eating generally smile). Sure it's normal and the preference develops a bit later.

sparklekitty Mon 05-Nov-12 11:12:29

I'm a teacher and have taught 5 and 6 year olds that haven't settled on a hand/foot yet. I wouldn't worry at all. (I've also taught a couple of truly ambidextrous kids, they didn't have any issues either)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now