Talk

Advanced search

Can teething cause vomiting?

(12 Posts)
Ilovethenorth Sat 03-Nov-12 11:14:46

My 2yr old DS appears to be teething but not sure it is not a bug/cold as he has had a couple of bouts of vomiting too. One a couple of weeks ago, just a random incident in the night and the other early hours of this morning. He is very snotty and has a bit of a cough but seems very loose. His nappies are pretty loose but then have been for as long as I can remember. He eats pretty well mainly and had breakfast this morning. Seems well in himself and other than being tired from lack of sleep - as are we! - he is ok. I have read that children can be sick through teething - his back teeth are not through yet - so am not sure whether to put it down to this or to take him to docs next week? Anyone got any advice/experience?
Thanks

CecilyP Sat 03-Nov-12 11:58:59

It sounds more like a bug to me.

bonzo77 Sat 03-Nov-12 12:01:25

I've had a number of health professionals tell me that the only thin that teething cause is teeth, and anything else accompanying it needs to be considered and if necessary treated separately in case it has a serious cause or consequence.

Ilovethenorth Sat 03-Nov-12 12:16:07

Thanks.
I have taken him to the docs previously with similar symptoms - when he was a bit smaller - and they put it down to teething. His cheeks are very red after he's woken this morning too.
I am not sure what to do now!
Suppose best to keep an eye on it and book him an appointment anyway just to check everything is ok.

MyCatHasStaff Sat 03-Nov-12 12:28:19

DS often had sickness and nasty nappies when teething and I was told it was because teething causes lots of saliva, which in turn can cause an acidy stomach and that causes the sickness etc.

niceupthedance Sat 03-Nov-12 13:01:42

I'm surprised the doc didn't say "it's a virus" like everything seems to be hmm

brettgirl2 Sun 04-Nov-12 08:21:48

I'm with nice. It doesnt sound like teething to me. I must admit it gets up my nose when people tell me whatevers wrong with my baby is teething. They are teething most of the time surely hmm

hubbahubster Mon 05-Nov-12 11:30:14

DS seems to be sick when he's teething, but this does sound like a bug. Mucus build-up makes DS sick too - if he's been snotty all day and then starts coughing 6-7pm, he'll usually cough so hard that he'll chuck. Does that sound familiar?

BigBoobiedBertha Mon 05-Nov-12 11:38:00

I think teething can cause vomiting but usually in much younger children who are still mostly on milk ime and from what I have read. As somebody said earlier, excessive saliva can upset their tummies.

I reckon it more likely he is gagging on the phlegm from his cold, he doesn't even have to have much of a cough for that. Lying on your back, sleeping could allow the phlegm to lie at the back of the throat. His red cheeks could just be the cold too but if you are really worried I would take him to the doctors.

matana Mon 05-Nov-12 13:44:12

I'm convinced that teething causes both diarrhoea and some vomiting, because these episodes always accompany a new tooth with my DS. He used to be quite a refluxy baby but grew out of that pretty much when he went onto solids and isn't now sick very often, except when he's teething. I have noticed that my DS coughs more and also develops a runny nose when teeth are coming which ordinarily i would put down to a cold but for the fact it always coincides with teething. I do believe that some babies and toddlers are troubled more by teething than others are.

Makingchanges Mon 05-Nov-12 13:45:12

My DD used to be sick when teething.

Ginfox Thu 08-Nov-12 14:08:51

My DD (16mo) has been sick several times today, but is otherwise well and happy. She has been chomping on her fingers for the last few days, and I wondered if her premolars might be on the way.

I guess whether or not teething causes the symptoms, just be on the alert for any changes that would indicate something more serious. That's what I'm doing anyway...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now