Talk

Advanced search

If you think the "why?" stage is annoying...

(36 Posts)
LynetteScavo Fri 02-Nov-12 19:37:07

....wait until you say "Yes, in a minute..." and they count to sixty very loudly and then wonder why you are not ready to do what ever it is they were asking for.

She's 7. When will this phase pass?

Rhubarbgarden Fri 02-Nov-12 19:54:30

Oh my god. I can remember doing that to my mum. You have unearthed a thirty-odd year old memory shock

DrSeuss Fri 02-Nov-12 19:54:57

So fecking annoying. In theory it's good for them to be curious. In practise, so tiresome! Tell her to google it/ask dad/ask grandma/ask her teacher/look it up at the library. Tell her to keep a list of stuff she wants to know. Chances are, she will write it down then never think about it again!

Wellthen Fri 02-Nov-12 21:04:19

At 7 I wouldn't call it a phase I'd call it being annoying! Or, impatient at least. Play her at her own game. Announce you will be ready in 7 minutes and 40 seconds and see if she'll bother counting.

Pancakeflipper Fri 02-Nov-12 21:08:03

Oh that's irritating.

I am currently thinking of the 'why?????" phase with fond memories as my 7yr old is making up stupid stories lies and his younger brother is going through that " taking your clothes off in public" phase.

stottiecake Fri 02-Nov-12 21:16:50

We are on the 'poo' stage here. Every question may be variously answered with 'poo' 'pooey' or 'poo pants'.

Ds1's fave joke 'knock knock' 'who's there?' 'joey' 'joey who?' 'joey pooey'/ 'joey poo pants'/ 'pooooey joey'. (joey is ds2)

Bring on the 'why' stage!!!

BabydollsMum Fri 02-Nov-12 21:32:52

When does the 'why?' stage start, please? [shudders]

RainbowsFriend Fri 02-Nov-12 21:49:22

Hmmm we're currently on the "again" phase at 16 months... everything is "again"! If I have to read that's not my bloody donkey one more time...

... and breathe...

grin

LynetteScavo Fri 02-Nov-12 21:55:25

I once had to read "Each Peach Pear Plum" over 30 times in a row when DS1 was in the "again" stage.

When DD is a teenager and says "I'll do it in a minute" I'll stand there and count to 60 and see how she likes it.

Not that I spend ages planning my revenge for their early years, or anything.

Sparklingbrook Fri 02-Nov-12 21:58:27

Ooh you are in for a treat when she's 13 Lynette. It's the 'Why not?' phase. angry Oh and also 'in a sec' when you ask them to do anything.

Every stage is a joy isn't it? angry

BabydollsMum Fri 02-Nov-12 22:06:06

Currently in the 'AGAIN!' stage. wine

RainbowsFriend Fri 02-Nov-12 22:12:50

wine wine hic

grin

Pending Sat 03-Nov-12 08:32:54

We are deep in the Why Phase with DS (3.1). Don't tell me there are more and worse phases to come! Waaaaah! I'm on the brink of madness as it is!

Pending: Right. Let's go to the post office
DS: Why?
Pending: To post a card.
Pending: To thank Auntie H for your birthday present.
Pending: Because it was kind of her to give you a nice present.
DS (trying out a slightly different intonation for his own amusement): Whyyy, Mummy?
Pending: ... It was just a kind thing to do.
DS: But why Mummy?
DS: Why Mummy?
Pending: (grinding teeth) Why what DS?
DS (looking into distance not really listening or bothered): Umm. Why?
Pending (inner sigh): It was just nice.
DS (attention snaps back): Why? Why was it just nice?
Pending (inner scream): Why do you think it was nice, DS?
DS: Hmm. (Wanders off to plot new way to drive Mummy insane, possibly involving waiting a few years then counting to sixty all the time...).

[weeps]

SconeInSixtySeconds Sat 03-Nov-12 08:35:17

I have a terrible habit of saying "in a second".

till my children started chanting

"a second means now. A second means NOW!"

ye gods.

BertieBotts Sat 03-Nov-12 08:37:22

We are in the poo phase AND the why phase. <tears own ears off>

BreeVanDerTramp Sat 03-Nov-12 08:38:42

DS2 has started the 'why' phase early at 2.2. DS1 has just entered the poo phase at 4.10.

BF DD so can't even have the wine

InNeedOfAPennyForTheGuysBrandy Sat 03-Nov-12 08:39:42

Dd does this! I get so irritated and ds is at the poo joked stage arghh

BertieBotts Sat 03-Nov-12 08:40:45

Oh and also a horrendous "Look at me. Look at me mummy. LOOK AT ME! Look at me. Please look at me."

<looks at DS>

"Um...[launches into some totally random story that I had no need to divert my attention away from the hot pan or other equally important thing for]"

(Or he has his willy out and then he laughs and says "I made you look at my willy!")

Shodan Sat 03-Nov-12 08:46:39

It just me who gets screamingly irritated a bit fed up with the word Mummy prefacing every sentence?

Even if there's no-one anywhere near us and therefore it could only be me to whom he is addressing his important remarks, ds2 starts every single sentence with 'Mummy...'

bruffin Sat 03-Nov-12 08:59:22

The worst phase is the
"What would you do if you were surrounded by dinosaurs" phase

ballroomblitz Sat 03-Nov-12 09:01:18

I never had a why stage with ds it was how?

At 5 he is in the incessant, repeating himself loves the sound of his own voice stage. Poo, bums, boobies and willys are particularly hilarious too.

Every morning: Mum, mum it's Thursday isn't it? Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. Yesterday was Wednesday and tomorrow is Friday. Today is Thursday isn't it? Saturday is the weekend. Mum yesterday was Wednesday wasn't it? Today is Thursday? Saturday and Sunday is the weekend. Mum, mum, remember when yesterday was Wednesday? Do you remember? Isn't Saturday the weekend mum? Mum, mum isn't today Thursday? Remember yesterday?

He never shuts up from the minute he wakes up until bed at night. I love him to bits but sometimes he can be hard to listen to.

<Tries to remember how worried I was about his delayed speech and the fact that one day he'll be a surly teenager I'll be lucky to get a grunt out of>

bruffin Sat 03-Nov-12 09:31:12

My 17 year old thinks its hilarious to mum, mum, mum
It does not get any better, I warn you grin

bruffin Sat 03-Nov-12 09:32:39

sorry should say [evil grin]

InABloodyRut Sat 03-Nov-12 09:34:21

I found an even worse stage......I want that.....I ignore...mummy i want that....hmmm ok says I.....MUMMY I SAID I WANT THAT!!!

To absolutely every toy advert on the tv.

Sparklingbrook Sat 03-Nov-12 09:37:20

Not forgetting the 'it wasn't my fault' stage. wink Starts about 10 yo and we are still waiting for it to end angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now