Talk

Advanced search

2yr dd1. I keep having no patience....

(4 Posts)
Littleraysofsunshine Thu 01-Nov-12 07:59:58

Usually I'm quite calm. But her thing at the moment, is not listening. Selectively.

How do you cope with the days when they just point blank do not listen? ive tried talking softly, on her level, but hen eventually i end up having to shout or even have to remove her from a situation by grabbing her arm( if i feel shes endangering herself) like running near a road!

how do you keep calm?

Literally the past few weeks. I know terrible twos an all, but sometimes it's not necessarily tantrums she will just get so upset an cry over the smallest thing. And also very angry sometimes? And then it seems like I'm her least favourite Person in the world sad

I just feel like I'm on her case so much. I don't want to be! Just lately it's as if she's very challenging, and also very emotional.

Must add that she's finally got er daddy back after ten months away. So it is all change for her...

I do t want to have to shout all the time. I want to be able to remain calm and soft spoken for her to understand me. I have read a lot about this age and it is said that they do become challenging as thy are figuring out that they are their own person etc.

Sirzy Thu 01-Nov-12 08:03:27

With regards to the running into the road, get a little life backpack or similar and make it so she can't. Saves the hassle for you all that way.

Otherwise, pick your battles. Don't be afraid to pick her up and remove her from a situation where she is doing something dangerous or that you don't want.

Make sure when she does things you want her to you praise her for it.

mummytime Thu 01-Nov-12 08:32:12

1) reins or similar.
2) get out early in the day to start burning off energy, housework etc. can wait.
3) don't go to shops when tired/hungry, if shopping go home before tiredness/ hungry sets in or let her sleep in a buggy.
4) distraction, bubbles in pocket, snack, count things, make up a little game
5) don't worry about embarrassment. I have sat with mine in a quiet aisle of Sainsbury's on many occasions, whilst they calm down.
6) online shopping
7) star chart for you, make sure you spot and praise at least 10 good things a day
8) counting. We will leave in 5 minutes, 3 minutes, 1 minute, now and GO.
9)have a break yourself, if she's asleep/occupied do make time for yourself as well as chores.

10) she won't do this when she is 18!

Littleraysofsunshine Thu 01-Nov-12 09:28:08

Thanks smile

She has a life back pack but kicks off with that sometimes.

I do agree with the not doing things when tired.. She does seem tired a lot lately as she is very active. ?

We go to playgroups three times a week so that's fine, this week though she's not wanted to leave the house. Even if I do make it fun! Choose their moments ay??!!

I also have a dd2 5m, she's excellent with her but sometimes a little ttooooo loving then I have to repeat myself and explain that you can't cuddle/ headlock all the time grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now