Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I need someone to tell me I'm being ridiculous worrying over 4wo dd being too good

(16 Posts)
ballroomblitz Wed 31-Oct-12 10:47:31

She hardly ever cries and seems to sleep most of the time. She'll cry a bit when she first wakes up and is hungry, every 2.5-5 hours. She'll look around her contentedly for 20 minutes or so if she doesn't fall asleep feeding or being winded, then sleeps again. She didn't even cry when she had her heel prick test. Is that weird?

I have moved from bf to ff the past week and have noticed a marked increase in her sleeping. Is it just that? Everyone keeps telling me just to enjoy it, and I know it could all change by next week, but I can't help but worry. I have a ds and he cried with colic night and day for weeks on end when he was a baby so dd's behaviour seems very strange to me.

Tell me to wise up grin

DrSeuss Wed 31-Oct-12 12:57:56

The formula will fill her for longer so that could account for the sleeping. If she seems "all there" when awake, why worry?

TheHairyDieter Wed 31-Oct-12 13:00:49

My DD is 6 weeks and the same. She just sleeps. She will wake up to be fed, then fall asleep again. She seems to come alive in the evenings, but only for a couple of hours. Then back to sleep. it worries me, tbh. Hoping someone will come along with some words of reassurance for us both...

Flisspaps Wed 31-Oct-12 13:01:42

Sounds great to me.

yellowsubmarine53 Wed 31-Oct-12 13:11:32

This can be completely normal for babies. My dd was born screaming and rooting for food and hasn't stopped that level of intensity - she's now 5.

Ds on the other hand, didn't cry when he was born and barely made a noise for weeks. He was exactly as you describe, although bf so probably not sleeping for as long. He was a (very nice) shock the system after dd.

He 'woke up' around 3-4 months and then things changed...

Make the most of it, and be grateful grin.

Bagofspiders Wed 31-Oct-12 13:19:31

Sounds like DS. He didn't cry when he was born either (I thought they all did and was quite alarmed at the time!) and was an incredible calm , quiet and sleepy baby. He had to have a blood test when he was a few days old and he didn't cry! The sleeping did all go to pot at around 3 months but he's still a very calm character and he hardly reacts to pain.
I think some babies are just like that. Congratulations!

BrightenMyNorthernSky Wed 31-Oct-12 13:41:16

My DS2 was like this - such a shock after colicky, sleepless DS1. He's 18 months now and he is still a lovely sunny character, nothing phases him and he's happy to just take things as they come. But he's developmentally spot on and full of beans - really into everything, and was actually very quick to crawl and then walk despite his laid back nature. When he was 9 weeks old he wouldn't go to bed one evening, he just cried and cried. By around 11pm I still couldn't get him to sleep, and took his temperature - 38. We phoned NHS direct, and he ended up being admitted to a paeds ward with what ultimately turned out to be meningitis. He seems fine now and we caught it incredibly early because crying was just so unusual for him. The doctors initially looked really confused as to why we were there when asking us to describe his symptoms and we just kept saying "crying, not really anything else". So having a laid back baby can be very useful, I am eternally grateful for DS2's good nature! We would never have been able to pick this up so easily with DS1.

Smudging Wed 31-Oct-12 13:46:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ballroomblitz Wed 31-Oct-12 23:28:58

Thanks I feel a bit more relaxed about it now I know some babies can be like that.

She was exactly the same the first few weeks I bf her but assumed it was because every time she squeaked I put a nipple in her mouth smile

I suppose my whole pregnancy I had braced myself for relentless crying and no sleep for months as that had been my previous experience with ds so this is all very unfamiliar territory.

Wow Brighten that's amazing you caught your ds's symptoms so early.

Most assuredly not counting my chickens though as I know how quickly babies can change. I'm now beginning to believe she's lulling me into a false sense of security.

SurreyWithAFringeOnTop Thu 01-Nov-12 10:36:26

My DS was just like this. He was sleeping five hour stretches from a week old. I spoke to the HV who told me to make the most of it! He slept through 7pm-7am from four months old and I can count on one hand how many times he has woken in the night since then - he is now 4. He did go through a fairly rebellious stage at 2-3 but as he was such a great sleeper I just counted my blessings really!

PointyDogs Thu 01-Nov-12 12:24:58

it is reassuring to know other people have good babies! Our 4 month DD is a very laid back, easy going baby. She is happy being handed around people, and only really cries when she is hungry or startled by something. She has also always been pretty easy to get to sleep in the evenings, although she does still wake for a feed in the early hours. She is very happy, alert and interested in everything, and hitting all the developmental markers.

She had problems at the birth so we have to have check ups with the paediatrician (which have all gone well), so I get very worried and paranoid when people comment (as has happened a LOT) "is she always so quiet?", with the implication being that maybe there is something wrong with her! Even her granddad the other day commented that he had never heard her cry, and asked if she was always so good! I guess we should be grateful not to have a 24-hour screaming machine like some of our friends have smile

HappyJoyful Thu 01-Nov-12 16:20:29

happy parent, happy baby ? sounds like my dd and a friend has had two boys like this too. Keep calm and relaxed and they say it does work.

FunnysInLaJardin Thu 01-Nov-12 16:25:17

DS1 was just like this. You just had to put him in his cot and he would go to sleep. He only cried to be fed. Mind you toddlerhood was a different kettle of fish. He is 7 now and quite a laid back type. DS2 OTOH was more screechy. They have both been very good sleepers though

FunnysInLaJardin Thu 01-Nov-12 16:27:32

incidentally DS2 'woke up' at about 4 weeks old after being very calm. He then did his fair share of shreiking

bigmouthstrikesagain Thu 01-Nov-12 16:33:12

My dd2 (3rd child) was like this from the start slept well, fed well, was calm and hardly cried, rarely ill, never had colic... I could go on. For her first year she was a very content calm baby. She was breast fed but so were my previous two colicky, cry-ey, shouty babies.

Fast forward through the toddler years, she is now a feisty and very loud four year old, stubborn as a mule and increasingly fussy about food. Still lovely but not easy at all. Enjoy it OP your baby may never be this easy again or they may stay calm and easy going... no point fretting smile

ballroomblitz Fri 02-Nov-12 09:14:48

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has wondered about something most parents would be grateful for.

Happyjoyful my mum seems to think that may be something to do with it. I had a rough pregnancy with ds and he was born premature and teeny tiny, hence I was a very anxious and stressed mum when I got him home. His colic ground me down and made his cues really hard to read. I had no idea was it hunger/wind/whatever. In comparison I sailed through pregnancy with dd and she was overdue and a healthy weight. It's made me so much more relaxed about her and her cues are easy to read.

Oh don't be saying that now FunnysInLaJardin . Ds 'woke up' about two weeks corrected, co-incidentally as paternity had just finished and my parents returned to where they lived abroad.

Pointydog my granny couldn't believe yesterday how good dd was and she had seven babies herself!

I'm not worried about having a feisty toddler - ds has inherited my temper and stubborness unfortunately. Answer for everything and knows it all at five year old. Exactly how I was as a child apparently. Karma is a bitch smile

Ok I shall relax and enjoy and keep my fingers crossed she stays so good!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now