Talk

Advanced search

Where to find list of normal range motor skills at 2.10 years?

(9 Posts)
AngelDog Wed 31-Oct-12 08:52:04

I'm looking for a list of the sort of skills / behaviours which are in the normal range for both fine motor skills and gross motor skills.

I have a suspicion that my 2.10 year old is slightly behind on some (eg he can't jump with both feet yet). I'd like to get an idea of what's expected or normal at each age.

Any suggestions please?

ElbowFan Wed 31-Oct-12 12:40:05

Its actually guidance for teachers but you could look here:
www.foundationyears.org.uk/early-years-foundation-stage-2012/
and download the Development Matters document which gives an indication of expectation in different age ranges

AngelDog Wed 31-Oct-12 22:23:30

Thanks - that was helpful.

mawbroon Wed 31-Oct-12 22:42:00

Hi AngelDog, me again! I clicked on this because ds2 is 2.8yo.

Just wanted to say that it is common for tt kids to be slower than others with motor skills.

DS1 didn't crawl until 11months, didn't take any steps until 20months. He certainly couldn't jump at 2.10yo although I don't remember when he did in the end.

His fine motor skills seem to be slower than his peers too, one look at his handwriting confirms this! Although he seems to manage his Lego just fine hmm

And another thing about tt kids is that it is common for them to hate wearing hats <totally random grin>

pivoprosim Thu 01-Nov-12 06:00:06

Sorry, what's a 'TT' kid?

Didn't recognise acronym.

harkharkhark Thu 01-Nov-12 09:39:19

Yes, I want to know what TT means now!

mawbroon Thu 01-Nov-12 10:47:00

Tongue tied

AngelDog Thu 01-Nov-12 15:51:34

That's interesting, mawbroon. Is there anything that isn't associated with TT? confused

I was wondering because the SALT diagnosed DS with verbal dyspraxia, which sometimes (not always) goes with motor dyspraxia. DS dislikes walking & running and isn't a very confident climber when out of the house. He falls over a lot and bumps into things a fair amount. But he doesn't seem to show any other dyspraxia symptoms. He wasn't particularly late in crawling / walking etc.

Hats are okay actually - but I'm guessing they're part of the sensory thing. I do think DS has some sensory issues going on.

mawbroon Thu 01-Nov-12 16:08:31

ds1's dentist, who is also an osteopath, said something about ds1's vagus nerve being affected. That would sort of explain why some seemingly random things are connected with the tongue tie and high palate, although I don't understand it all completely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now