Talk

Advanced search

Constipated baby? Help!

(19 Posts)
chocolatetester1 Tue 30-Oct-12 21:39:18

DS2, 7 weeks old, has gone 5, nearly 6 days without a poo. Lots of wet nappies and farts but nothing more. Previously, he has gone 3 days at a time.
He is b/fed with one formula bottle at night.
Is this normal?
At what point do I worry/take him to the doctor?
In fact, I am worrying already!

AllIWant85 Tue 30-Oct-12 21:43:11

Does he seem in pain or restless? Can you try cycling his legs or massaging his tummy in a clockwise direction. I found that worked for my DS.

If you are worried though you could call NHS Direct or if your DS seems ok calk your HV in the morning.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 30-Oct-12 21:59:08

Try offering more bfs too as this usually has the right effectsmile

stargirl1701 Wed 31-Oct-12 00:21:18

My HV recommended 1 teaspoon of apple juice in 25ml of cool sterile water. It def worked! grin

chocolatetester1 Wed 31-Oct-12 11:11:24

Thanks for the ideas, will give them a go. He doesn't seem in pain normally but does writhe (sp?) around occasionally for about a minute and is pretty unhappy during this. I'll give it another day or so before heading to the docs.

devonsmummy Wed 31-Oct-12 11:14:17

My doc said a spoon of dark brown sugar dissolved in boiled water does the trick.
My little one suffers with constipation every so often

ZuleikaD Wed 31-Oct-12 11:18:15

It's not constipation - it's perfectly normal for bf babies to go days without poos because bm is such good stuff.

Poledra Wed 31-Oct-12 11:30:36

BFed babies don't always poo a lot - however, if you think he's straining, then he might well be constipated. Google constipated baby reflexology - there's bound to be Youtube video. My mw showed me how to do it, and it worked a treat on DD1. I also recommended it to someone else here recently, and it worked for her baby too. Give it a go - even if it doesn't work for you, your baby will have had a lovely foot massage

I never thought, when I had babies, that you can become so obsessed by someone else's bowel habits smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 31-Oct-12 14:15:27

Please don't give yor bf baby sugar or fruit juice. Is he in pain when he strains, if so, give one of the Bfing Helplines a call.

If he's not in pain, I'd just up his feeds for a couple of days. Try nano nappy time, a bath and some baby massage too. If you're not sure how to do the baby massage there are some videos on YouTube.

chocolatetester1 Wed 31-Oct-12 19:39:50

So far, I've upped the feeds, moved his legs like cycling and tried abdominal massage. Will YouTube the clips you recommended. Trying not to be obsessed but ... Thanks everyone.

chocolatetester1 Wed 31-Oct-12 19:43:42

I've just googled nano nappy time but I'm not getting any results. Am I searching for the wrong thing?

chocolatetester1 Wed 31-Oct-12 19:49:04

And YouTube has come up trumps with the reflexology video, it looks lovely! Might do on ds1 just for fun as well as ds2!

paperclips Thu 01-Nov-12 02:38:39

I think Nano nappy time was a typo and meant No-nappy time. They can wriggle and move their legs more to help get a poo out.

Have tried no-nappy time with DS, the sensitive soul got really upset about a tiny bit of wee on his clothes, but hated being naked even more! We got a poo but not sure if its down to this.

DS (5 week old) is grumpy and unsettled at the moment after just a day and a half without pooh (usually goes several times a day) I think that's what bothering him maybe also wind and he just brought up a feed too.

Feel sorry for your baby after so long. Hope you get that poo-explosion soon!

chocolatetester1 Thu 01-Nov-12 04:58:08

The poonami has landed! gringrin thanks everyone, smilesmile

rumbelina Thu 01-Nov-12 06:17:38

Oh I'm having poonami!

chocolatetester1 Thu 01-Nov-12 08:30:45

I hope you're having one by proxy and not personally!!!grin

chocolatetester1 Thu 01-Nov-12 09:12:44

Oh no, you mean the word! I already stole it from someone on here ...

Poledra Thu 01-Nov-12 09:19:40

Glad it's worked, and grin that you can be pleased about pooey nappies at 5am!

chocolatetester1 Thu 01-Nov-12 12:43:36

So pleased that I nearly woke up Dh to tell him! But I resisted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now