Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Growth spurt at 7 months?

(3 Posts)
MeanAndMeaslyMiddleAges Tue 30-Oct-12 01:46:27

My ds is 7 months and seems like he's going through a growth spurt. He's being weaned at the moment and for about a month has been in 2-3 puréed meals a day, with formula too. Since weaning he's been taking 500-600mls throughout the day, usually spread over 4 bottles. However the last few days he's had 5 bottles a day, sometimes only 2 hours apart (usually they're 5 hours apart, with food for breakfast/lunch/tea in between) and he's been finishing every drop, which he has never done before. Today, for example, he had 1100mls in total, which he never even drank before he had food. He's also had some water, although we're lucky if he has more than 20ml at a time.

He's also slept more today and has been screaming in hunger, even if it was only 2 hours since his last feed. For background, he's a very skinny baby, always had been, but is a pretty good feeder. He's on the second to last percentile. 3 months ago he went up a percentile. I weigh him every month but when I weighed him on Friday ge'd dropped a percentile - so not only did he not put on any weight but he'd actually lost a few ounces. He had been ill the previous week though, and had lost his appetite/ had the trots for a few days, so that might be it. Although he's been grizzly today/yesterday I am sure he's not ill. Not teething either. He's been very lively and energetic.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I disn't think they had growth spurts at 7 months but that's what it seems like!

MeanAndMeaslyMiddleAges Tue 30-Oct-12 01:48:08

He sleeps very well at night to, if that helps - goes down at 7, feed at midnight then sleeps 'til 7.

broodylicious Tue 30-Oct-12 02:01:42

Im pretty sure it's quite common to have a growth spurt at 6 and 9 months so your dc may have chosen to have his now - I'm sure you know each child is different so not everyone will have theirs at bang on 6 months. If he's happy in himself, I'd say there's nothing to worry about - your hv would always ask is he awake a lot, does he have a lot of wet and dirty nappies? If the answers are yes, I would suggest growth spurt as you say yourself.

It could be though that he's ready for the next stage of weaning - so more normal foods than smooth puréed to get some more food down him? We do BLW with our 7 month old DD so she's always had proper food and only purée for the first week or so (apart from the occasional Ella's kitchen pouch when we are out and about --and mummy can't be bothered to do anything special--) so she's gained quite a bit of weight recently - previously she had dropped quite dramatically on those damn charts so we were concerned just as you are. Why not try mashed potato/carrot etc? Or porridge? Or soaked weetabix? They're what we gave first off.

HTH smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now