Talk

Advanced search

7 yr DD 'teenage' tantrums

(5 Posts)
sheeesh Mon 29-Oct-12 10:35:35

I'm getting to the end of my tether. 3 hours into the first day of the holidays and she is moody, shorty and rude.

It's been going on for a few months and I feel stuck and don't know what to do next.

What is the best way to deal with this behaviour? On one hand I try to ignore but on the other I feel I can't have her thinking that such a level of disrespectful behaviour towards other people is OK.

Any ideas or advice?

sheeesh Mon 29-Oct-12 10:36:51

Shorty = shouty

LouBossGaGa Tue 06-Nov-12 23:15:21

Sheeesh, I have very similar problems, usually far worse in the evening when she's tired. Generally DD (7) is pretty good and loves virtually any activity going, however when she doesn't get her own way or if I try to talk to her about something minor, she madly over reacts, digs her heels in, answers back very rudely, shouts, stamps her feet and slam doors. Talk about mountains out of molehills!

Usually she goes on the naughty/thinking step grin or in her bedroom. Once she's calmed down she's not too bad however very stubborn (like me) and won't discuss it at all (like DH).

Tonight was particularly difficult and after warnings/earlier discussions, I took her teddy off her - not ideal but its a new one and hot favourite at the moment. The only thing that would have any effect. We had screaming tantrums and she was shouting and carrying on at the top of her voice. Eventually she let me take her to bed and tuck her in, but still stubborn and not showing much affection.

Although I don't feel out of control at the moment, it's happening a lot more often and I am feeling worried that if I can't sort it out now, then she'll get worse and worse as she gets older.

Sorry not much in the way of ideas, but comforting to know that she's not the only one!

AngryFeet Tue 06-Nov-12 23:20:12

I had this with dd last year. Read www.parentdish.co.uk/kids/worse-than-terrible-twos-the-stroppy-sevens/. She is better now she is 8 smile

sheeesh Wed 07-Nov-12 08:50:18

Thanks for the replies smile

I know this is a phase and I'm trying (really trying) to understand and deal calmly rather than constantly arguing with her.

AngryFeet will have a read through that link. Thank you!

LouBossGaGa I feel the same about nipping it in the bud now in case it gets worse as she gets older.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now