Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone else's toddler demand to go out an hour after getting up?

(12 Posts)
haloflo Sun 28-Oct-12 10:50:07

On the two days a week we have to take her to childcare it's brilliant but the rest of the time it's exhausting! I know many people struggle to leave the house early but my 19mo DD is throwing my shoes at me from 8/8.30 even on a rainy cold Sunday morning. Is this normal? If I try to delay she whines, whines, gets more and more shoes out and is generally hard work.

She doesn't mind what we do (park, walk, shop) but she must be out of the house. She has no interest in her toys at the best of times and the only indoor activities she seems to like is colouring and stickers and even they hold no interest at 9 am.

Currently we go out twice a day for at least an hour each time.

Should we stay in a couple of mornings a week so she doesn't expect to go out (i am shuddering at the thought of this) or just accept that she likes to go out and dress appropriately? Like I say 6/7 days a week I don't mind too much but sometimes I'd love to stay in!

Sparklingbroomstick Sun 28-Oct-12 10:52:57

I would go with it. Out of the house is good. grin

We used to keep the buggy in the hall and DS2 would climb in and do his straps up ready if he wanted to go out. grin

I think the walk and the fresh air and Vitamin D can only be a good thing. <sound like my mum>

Sparklingbroomstick Sun 28-Oct-12 10:53:35

And just think of all the people who have a huge battle getting their toddler to get dressed and leave the house. grin

haloflo Sun 28-Oct-12 12:43:03

That's true, she will probably change overnight and then I'll regret saying I want to stay in!

Notquite Sun 28-Oct-12 12:50:49

If she's still like that at school age you'll be laughing.

My DD1 was a very full-on, early-rising, outward-bound sort of toddler & I used to find her a bit much at 6.30 every morning, but she's now 15 and still gets up at 6.30 ready for anything. It is a rare gift in a teenager.

Obviously a long time to wait for the (potential) pay-off though.

Iggly Sun 28-Oct-12 12:58:58

Ds was like this. At 3, he wants to stay home but I suspect that's tiredness as he's at preschool every morning.
Go with it!

You could keep her busy at home by doing "chores" like vacuuming, washing up, dusting etc. worked for ds especially washing up and vacuuming. The house looked very clean for a time!

Timeforabiscuit Sun 28-Oct-12 13:32:52

Mines the same- was very useful in summer , deserted swings and sand pits a plenty.

Much less fun in the winter tho, you discover very quickly that macdonalds breakfasts are worth it just because of their opening hours grin

mycatlikestwiglets Mon 29-Oct-12 09:56:38

I have, on occasion, been out in the garden playing football with 22mo DS at 7.15am. Our neighbour has 2 boys and can often be seen out at a similar time. So, definitely not unusual! DS often presents me with his shoes while he's still wearing his pjs and before breakfast has even been thought about. It's one of the joys of parenthood which I was never warned about!

hackneybird Mon 05-Nov-12 15:23:18

Mine was like that for a long time, I found it exhausting. We would have to be out in the morning and then go out again in the afternoon after nap time. I gave up buying him toys as he was never interested in them. He could walk for miles and miles and just never stopped (plus side was I lost loads of weight trying to keep up with him). I also never had to worry about his TV intake as he was so active and outdoorsy I never felt guilty about the times he did spend in front of the telly.

He has just turned three and has now started to play at home a bit more, and watch films etc. which I am finding easier and more relaxing. Sometimes I can't even get out of the house which I never would have imagined happening.

MummysHappyPills Mon 05-Nov-12 22:56:30

My dd is like this! We have a very small concrete back yard and sometimes she is appeased by going out there, bouncing a ball, feeding the rabbit, watering the plants, dig in the pots, drawing with chalk, help me hang the washing out, or just running up and down. I think she just likes an excuse to put her wellies on tbh! And obviously this is

It can be annoying when you want to stay in and get stuff done at home (or just relax!), but on the other hand I want to foster this in her as much as possible as I was rather she was outdoorsy than a couch potato! And I suppose it has the added bonus of getting me off my lazy butt as well! blushgrin

cloudhands Tue 06-Nov-12 05:36:27

my DD, 14 months, just started wanting to go out! She crawls up to the door and asks me, Rainy, cold, she isn't bothered. I am taking it as a personal challenge, to try and get out more and just let her play, even though it's getting a bit cold for my liking!
I'd definitly go with it as it sounds like your dd is telling you what she needs, lots of fresh air and running about.
and then if there's a morning when you can't go out, cos need to do stuff around the house, then just tell her that.

sanam2010 Tue 06-Nov-12 17:31:02

I think an hour each twice a day is very very little!! We try to be out pretty much all the time except nap time and except for the very early morning (5am - 8 or 9am).

I think it is perfectly healthy and normal for her to want to get out and going out even less is certainly not the answer! I think it is good for you as well. Just run an errand or buy milk or post a letter or whatever, children need to move and see new places! It's not natural to be stuck inside the house with the parents.

I find the only way DD tolerates longer stretches at home is when we have visitors, I think toddlers are bored to death at home with their parents. Try to invite friends over if you don't feel like going out...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now