Talk

Advanced search

question about language in a near 2 year old - any SALTs around?

(5 Posts)
pivoprosim Sat 27-Oct-12 22:14:47

I think my 23 month DS has a good vocab - some words are very clear, others less so. Some words only I understand! But I've noticed how some of the endings of words - like hot, and big, have been replaced with 's' in a lisp-like way, so he'll say 'horss' or 'bis'.

Is that normal? Is he too young for a lisp? I've got no idea about this stuff

notnowbernard Sat 27-Oct-12 22:17:15

I know sod all about speech dev but would say as he is not even 2 yet don't worry smile

My DS is 26m and still says 'd' for 'c' sounds... so dat for cat, dar for car. I'm not worried yet

bangersmashandbeans Sat 27-Oct-12 22:44:14

Can't remember exactly what I was told by HV but it is something about replacing sounds being quite common. My DD is 2.8 and a good little talker but still replaces v's with b's (leabes on the trees...can I have some cheese and olibes etc) and also lisps occasionally but at her 2 yr check they said it was all a normal part of speech development so I really wouldn't worry.

ogredownstairs Sat 27-Oct-12 23:16:01

I would say that all of these examples are things you would absolutely expect to see in typically developing children of this age. (I'm not a SALT or an expert but I am studying language development at university.) It can take children up to the age of 6 or 7 to master some consonant sounds, and substitution of sounds is very common and very normal.

messtins Sun 28-Oct-12 10:20:40

Doesn't sound worrying to me. My sister is a SALT and recommends this site Talking Point which has normals for ages and stages and a checklist if you are worried about your child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now