Talk

Advanced search

Dressing a wriggly toddler

(4 Posts)
AlreadyScone Sat 27-Oct-12 17:43:59

Youngest DS is built like a tank & lately I dread dressing him. He lets himself go floppy, rolls about, won't push his hands/feet through sleeves/trousers, keeps launching himself at me for a wrestle... It takes far too long and I end up knackered and cross. He can put on his own shoes & zip up his own coat so he's not incapable of co-operating. He's a big strong lad and frankly I'm not strong enough. He's potty training too, so this can happen a few times a day.

This morning I happened to stand him on the (sturdy, low and wide!) coffee table for on e just to save my knees and back, then sort of dressed him at arm's length. It worked quite well.

Just wondered how others have dealt with this? My eldest took aaaaaages to dress too, but she didn't wrestle and loll about like DS does...

MrsCantSayAnything Sat 27-Oct-12 19:26:48

Ah! Tank-Child Goes Boneless in Attempt to Foil Mother.

I know the scenario well! Both my DD's were strong and determined! How old is he? If you perhaps try to dress him in the same room and the same place, with no fun things nearby, he may get used to the routine....and maybe tell him to get dressed well and then he can have a wrestle with you AFTER his clothes are on.

Lol at dressing him at arms length though! grin

AlreadyScone Sun 28-Oct-12 23:06:44

Thanks MrsCantSayAnything. He's just turned 3 but wearing age 5, and built like Sean Connery in Dr No.

It being a Sunday, I had the experience of watching DH try to dress him this morning - DS played up just as much (if not more) for him, so I'm not taking it personally.

I will try the same time, same place thing this week.

Polygon Mon 29-Oct-12 20:00:42

We used to have the getting dressed robot whereby I made funny, different noises for every action of getting dressed and pretended to be a robot. Worked with dd quite well, didn´t work with ds at all. Maybe it´s worth a try and it was quite funny in a way, I suppose!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now