Talk

Advanced search

SILLY question? should a 6 yr old be able to differentiate justin from mr tumble

(18 Posts)
mumtoaandj Fri 26-Oct-12 16:07:14

my 6 year old and just 3 year old were argueing because the 3 year old can see that justin is justin and mr tumble and aunt polly etc but the 6 year old cannot see that justin is also those characters. does that make sense?

NickNacks Fri 26-Oct-12 16:09:27

I dunno. I get confused watching Austin Powers...

notcitrus Fri 26-Oct-12 16:17:01

Some people are just better at faces than others. I'm pretty crap at it and only noticed they were the same person from the credits and reading about the programme. Ds didn't notice for over a year and I think I told him they were the same person which made it extra funny, but dn (same age) noticed instantly.

I still can't tell David Cameron and Nick Clegg apart. At least after the first time I met her, I can now tell SIL from DH without having to look closely for facial stubble/cock...

didldidi Fri 26-Oct-12 16:27:08

my six year old has only just started believing me when I told him it was Justin dressed as Dina Lady/Mr Tumble etc!

nannyof3 Fri 26-Oct-12 16:49:20

His also Jake's voice in tweenies

mumtoaandj Fri 26-Oct-12 17:49:40

Thank you- wonder why my 3 year old can work it out? even worse they were on the cbeebioes site and the 6 year old asked the 3 year old what he wanted to watch,..the 3 year old said mr tumble so the 6 year old goes to m for mr tumble, the 3 year old says no ..there...pointing to justin's house! the 6 year old is now even more confused!
i am glad it is a normal thing- i do worry he has ASD on thought it might be some sort of sign!?!

Goldenjubilee10 Fri 26-Oct-12 18:21:08

My 6 year old hasn't worked it out yet and he is considered to be very bright!

Meglet Fri 26-Oct-12 18:23:09

I'll be watching my DC's like hawk next time SS is on. Not sure if they dc's have sussed it out yet.

iMum Fri 26-Oct-12 18:27:11

mine can

moleskin Fri 26-Oct-12 20:05:34

well i had to tell my dd1 who as adhd (shes 8.5) about 6 months ago that they were the same person!!!! As she didnt realise. DD2 who is 3 doesnt realise either

messtins Fri 26-Oct-12 20:10:52

DS (just turned 6) only worked it out when we saw Mr Tumble at Camp Bestival and he did all the voices of the other characters. He's now very conspiratorial about not telling little brother. He still thinks Mr Tumble dresses up as Justin sometimes... hmm I think many kids at that age have a hard time working out what is real and what is pretend when it comes to books, TV etc. I wouldn't worry about it.

MrsCantSayAnything Fri 26-Oct-12 22:28:07

My bright 8 year old looks at me hmm when I point this out. She has a reading age of 12 and her spelling is in the top 2% in her class but she struggles with comprehension.

I wonder if it's related? She is bright but definitely rather literal. I would say she has some Asperger like traits but has been assessed as not suffering from AS.

MrsCantSayAnything Fri 26-Oct-12 22:29:02

ooh Moleskin isn't that a funny x post! Our DDs must be similar.

messtins Sat 27-Oct-12 09:20:32

I'd describe my DS as very literal too. He takes everything at face value. Maybe that's something to do with it.

moleskin Sat 27-Oct-12 09:29:50

Mrscantsay my dd was assessed for AS she scored 12 on the test and think cut off for AS was 15. She is definatly literal!!! She tells me I'm stupid when I say that Mr tumble is same man as justins house and she has no concept at all that things on tv aren't real!!

MrsCantSayAnything Sat 27-Oct-12 09:36:05

I'm trying to help her understand abstract concepts through poetry...we have a few children's collections and she likes hearing them....and I can explain all the similes etc.

MummyPig24 Sat 27-Oct-12 14:02:27

I just asked my 5yo and he said they weren't the same, but have the same hair. Then I asked if Mr Tumble was Justin dressed up and he said yes, and grandpa tumble too. I guess he'd never.thought about it before!

NickNacks Sat 27-Oct-12 14:40:30

I asked my 6 ur old and he says they are different people 'of course hmm '

He thinks they might be brothers though so can obviously see a similarity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now