Talk

Advanced search

Tantrums and early talkers

(7 Posts)
BabydollsMum Thu 25-Oct-12 14:17:07

Just really hoping wondering if there's any truth to the idea that a good talker is generally less frustrated and therefore the tantrums won't be so bad?

DD's 20 months and I'm told that she's quite advanced with her language (shame about her sleeping skills). She'll spout 6-7 word sentences now and I can hold proper little conversations with her, but my god, the tantrums.

Of course on the flip side, chatty = extroverted = highly strung = tantrum!

Any thoughts? Is this just wishful thinking? How much of a tantrum is purely the frustration in not being able to communicate anyway?

lljkk Thu 25-Oct-12 16:48:40

I think personality comes into more.
All of mine were late if not delayed talkers, can't say that I had more tantrums with more speech delay, though.

squidgeberry Thu 25-Oct-12 16:57:46

I have a proficient talker aged 2.4, she has plenty of tantrums but not sure talking is the cause. Am starting to recognise the triggers now - she's usually tired, hungry or doesn't want to leave the soft play/toddler group.

goosey123 Thu 25-Oct-12 17:58:50

DD1 was an excellent talker from 18 months, and a daily humungous tantrumer from around the same age. DD2 isn't as advanced with her language (is in fact behind), and tantrums are less regular.

So in my experience I think it was more to do with personality than speech. DD1 is quite highly strung, but also seemed to do lots more thinking from an early age (if that makes sense - lots of conversation and questions very early on), I sometimes wondered if that triggered a lot of her tantrums, it was as if she couldn't cope with her mind activity and regularly went into over drive.... Thats my theory anyway! (I also think I had very high expectations of her, because verbally she was like a much older child, which maybe ddn't help)

good luck!

BabydollsMum Thu 25-Oct-12 20:11:32

That's a really good point, goosey it's hard not to treat her like a 20 month old sometimes when she comes out with such grown-up talk.

midseasonsale Thu 25-Oct-12 21:52:46

I think it's personality.2 of my kids were born horizontal, the third is whizzy. All are very verbal

BlackSwan Thu 25-Oct-12 22:24:56

My highly verbal 2yo is highly argumentative. And when it doesn't work, he has a tantrum. Simple.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now