Talk

Advanced search

High chair tantrums

(7 Posts)
Joannezipan Thu 25-Oct-12 12:32:38

My DS is 16 months and up and walking, he is and always has been a very good eater and loves his food. The last week he has started having a complete fit if we try to put him in his high hair at dinner time. He just goes mental with full river dance legs and screaming and tears the works. He doesn't seem to have a problem with it at breakfast time though. He will eat if he is sitting on one of our laps, but I really don't want to get into that habit. What on earth is going on?

annabeldp Thu 25-Oct-12 13:28:59

My DD started doing the same thing at about the same age. What worked for her was rather than sitting at her chair with her little table, to put the highchair to the dining table and give her some proper crockery, and tell her what a big girl she is now.

She's also stopped throwing her plates on the floor which is a bit of a bonus!

vodkaanddietirnbru Thu 25-Oct-12 13:29:28

could you try a booster seat on a dining chair and put him up to the table with the rest of you

BlueChampagne Thu 25-Oct-12 13:30:05

My 2 were both high chair refusniks by 18 months. They just knelt up to table on proper dining chairs.

maxmillie Thu 25-Oct-12 13:34:03

he's becoming an irrational toddler that's what!! We have the opposite problem with ds3 - throws a tantrum if you try and take him out and make him stop eating!

Havng been through the highchair wars 3 times I would second the advice about removing highchair tray and bringing him right up to th etable with his own set of (melamine or plastic) plates and cutlery, if you havent already.

Also, be firm - no food until he calms down and sits nicely in the highchair, he'll stop if he's hungry!

ZuleikaD Thu 25-Oct-12 17:25:04

Put him in a booster or sit him on a cushion, he's clearly done with the highchair!

Pascha Thu 25-Oct-12 17:27:25

We went with the booster seat on an ordinary chair. DS's behaviour and table manners improved overnight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now