Talk

Advanced search

Constipation Worries

(7 Posts)
Patsy121 Thu 25-Oct-12 06:44:00

Hi,
My baby is 14 weeks and 4 days and is constipated. I can hear her straining and passing wind but when I check her nappy - nothing. She's weeing alright though. I've read that sugar water can help. Has anyone tried this and if so, how much sugar and for how long? I asked my HV and she said although sugar water works well, they just advise water nowadays. However, when I try this I find it affects my baby's feeds. A friend suggested I give her more water in her feeds than I should a couple of feeds a day so that she gets the additional water suggested by the HV without affecting her feeds; hence, instead of 4ozs of water and 4 scoops of formula, 5ozs and 4 scoops.
Any suggestions or ideas of what worked for anyone out there?
Thanks!

DialMforMummy Thu 25-Oct-12 08:55:06

My LO was constipated when he was on SMA. We switched to Aptamil and the problem was solved. I would not give sugar and water nor would I dilute the feeds. The solution might be in the formula.
HTH

Poledra Thu 25-Oct-12 09:03:39

Google 'reflexology for constipated babies' - there's bound to be a youtube video. My DD1 was quite constipated as a tiny baby, and the mw showed me how to do it. I wasn't sure whether it would work or not, but 20 minutes later, poonami! And if it doesn't work, the worst that's happened is your baby's had a nice foot massage.

Patsy121 Thu 25-Oct-12 10:36:44

Thanks for this, both.
My DD is on Aptamil but will try the reflexology. It feels good to think that I could help her in some way.
Thanks again.

MamaBear17 Thu 25-Oct-12 19:52:54

Baby massage really helped my dd. I also put half an oz of extra water into her feed which made a massive difference. I did so under the advice of my GP who told me that the warnings about not diluting the feeds are aimed at people who might add one scoop of powder to 6oz of water to try and make the formula last longer.

Patsy121 Fri 26-Oct-12 10:48:10

Thanks all!
Just to let you know that after my DD's feed yesterday, I did the baby reflexology and voila! 30 mins later, she did the biggest poo I've ever seen her do - AND no straining!
Thanks for the advice. Will keep this one in my mental rolodex!

Poledra Sat 27-Oct-12 09:28:38

That's marvellous! I bet you never imagined that someone else doing a successful poo could make you feel so happy wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now