Talk

Advanced search

Slings?

(14 Posts)
Clumsasaurus Tue 23-Oct-12 17:29:09

My 10week old DS has just started to get really clingy. Has any one got any experience with slings?

We have a baby bjorn carrier but not sure it's ideal for around the house, naps etc I also have a Simply Good sling but can't figure out how to get him in it in a way he looks comfortable?! He is 14lb and very long (already in 3-6 month clothes) so it needs to be something relatively sturdy...

Any suggestions?

KayteeB12 Tue 23-Oct-12 17:32:23

hey hunny
Kai was an extremely clingy baby and just refuses to be put down and the sling saved my life!! it enabled him to be close to me and left my arms free to get on with what i needed to do.
im not sure which type of sling i had as it was given to me but just wanted to let you know its a great idea<3

Indith Tue 23-Oct-12 17:35:30

There are so many different types!

You have wraps slings which come in stretchy (great with newborns but not so good as they get heavy) or woven (last up to toddler/preschool) and can cost from around £15 for a basic stretchy to well over £100 or anyting inbetween.

Then you have Mei Tai styles which are based on Asian baby carriers. They are a square of fabric with long straps to tie it on you. They are sized but a standard size will see you from baby to around 2 years old. There are lots of brands but babyhawk is well known and can be picked up fairly cheaply.

Then you have buckles which are basically MT slings but with buckles for those who don't like wrapping and knows etc so are easy to use. Brands are connecta or boba amongst others

All of those except stretchy wraps can be used on your front or your back. There are many women who make carriers as small businesses so lots and lots of slightly different styles and makes, everyone is shaped differently so gets on with different carriers.

Your best bet is to see if you have a local sling library or sling meet where you can try out different slings. Google and searchinf FB is the way to go for that.

AnathemaDevice Tue 23-Oct-12 18:04:26

I got a Connecta for DD, after trying and failing with a Baby Bjorn and a Freedom sling with DS. I loved it, she loved it, and I would still be using it now (she's 20 months old) if it wasn't for the fact I'm expecting DC3.

She is very small, but I get the feeling it would be good for bigger babies too, it seems to distribute the weight well.

Another plus is that it comes in loads of nice patterns!

Indith Tue 23-Oct-12 18:20:53

Oh I forgot ring slings and pouch slings!

They are both one shoulder slings, you carry the baby in cradle position when small then you can use it for hip carries. Both essentially the same but a pouch is sized to you and a ring sling can be adjusted.

Nivet Tue 23-Oct-12 19:18:17

I'd highly recommend a Karrimee stretchy wrap sling to start, I carried both of mine in a stretchy wrap until they were 7 months plus. They are tricky to learn to tie but you can find tutorials on You Tube.

Clumsasaurus Tue 23-Oct-12 19:32:21

Thank you all so much! My DS is currently asleep on my left shoulder supported by my left arm... Making me a one armed bandita! I think a mei tai is in my future!

GailTheGoldfish Tue 23-Oct-12 20:49:10

I got a Close Caboo for DD and it was the best thing I bought by far. Not cheap but really worth the investment.

discrete Tue 23-Oct-12 20:51:53

A mei tai is great if you don't mind doing the tying yourself.

If you want a brilliant buckled soft structured carrier I recommend the Beco Gemini. It's definitely been my favourite of all my far too many slings.

BlueChampagne Wed 24-Oct-12 13:16:00

Mine were Wilkinet babies

BobbysBeardOfWonder Wed 24-Oct-12 13:18:30

I second the Connecta smile use mine almost every day with DS 5.5 months) and done from a few weeks old.

midseasonsale Wed 24-Oct-12 19:34:09

we use an ergo when bigger and a mobi when smaller. both helped.

Figgygal Wed 24-Oct-12 19:36:52

I have a baba sling and my 26lb monster 10mo still fits in it comfortably god help us when he's too big for it

Bumpatron Wed 24-Oct-12 20:41:26

My DS is a whopper and in 6-9 month clothes - filling them up nicely. He loves riding in the baby bjorn sling and sleeps in it really well too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now