Talk

Advanced search

Sippy Cups

(9 Posts)
steph01 Tue 23-Oct-12 13:13:20

Trying to introduce sippy cups to my 11 month old and i dont really know what one would be the best. I have two but one the milk comes out too quickly and two you have to suck it like a straw and he cant do that yet.
Any recommendations please?

PPT Tue 23-Oct-12 13:54:00

We used the oxo cups which have a bit inside which stops milk coming out too quickly. The plastic bit is detachable so can be removed when they're able to handle fasting flowing liquids. We got ours from amazon.

vodkaanddietirnbru Tue 23-Oct-12 14:23:43

tommee tippee first cup with a flip up lid was best for us. We also used the avent magic cup.

MrTumblesCrackWhore Tue 23-Oct-12 14:24:59

I've been through pretty much every beaker on the market and the only one I rate as an all rounder is the Tommee Tippee My first cup (the one that is supposed to be for 4 months on). Ds1 who is nearly 3 still uses his - we keep the lid on for car journeys but take it off for mealtimes so he can drink from it like a normal cup. Dd2 (12 months) likes it the best too, even though she is still at an age where she spills it down herself sometimes. There are other non-spill beakers which are good but I can't stand all the bits that you have to take apart and replace each time you wash it. The Tommee Tippee ones are so easy to clean, and relatively inexpensive compared to some on the market.

MrsBungleBear Tue 23-Oct-12 14:27:35

I second the tommee tippee first cups. 5 month old DS is getting on fine with his and as MrTumblesCrackWhore (grin) said, my 3yo DD still uses hers with the lid off too.

TheSurgeonsMate Tue 23-Oct-12 14:49:43

Yes, I just have half a dozen Tommee tippee first cups. My first was given to me at the weaning talk given my our local HV at 4 months. NHS in Scoltand promote the use of "free flow" cups (ie non valve) for reasons to do with dental health.

There are ideas about how to teach the use of straws on Kellymom, in the "my child can't drink from a bottle what do I do" section.

ZuleikaD Tue 23-Oct-12 15:24:04

Yes, the Tommee Tippee freeflow cups are good. I'm not a fan of the ones they have to suck as it doesn't really teach them anything about how to drink effectively. The plain and simple one is good because you can just pop the lid off and then it's a normal cup - I don't like the ones with screw on lids because the screw-thread then makes it uncomfortable for the child to use. Both mine started on the TT freeflow and both moved to open cups from about 14 months old.

Rhubarbgarden Wed 24-Oct-12 13:28:35

I like the Anywayup Cup and Cow Cup. They are the only non-spill ones I've found that don't have fiddly bits to clean. Dd loves the Cow Cup especially, I guess because it looks fun.

Handsfulloffun Wed 24-Oct-12 13:30:51

Another vote for the Tommee Tippee cups.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now