Talk

Advanced search

"STOP IT" shouts my 2 year old, at everyone

(7 Posts)
lukeiamyourmother Tue 23-Oct-12 11:37:44

He's got this from a friend who doesn't like her toys being played with by other children and now he's using it for every situation he doesn't like. ie.

Mummy is chatting, he shouts stop it at the person I am talking to.
He doesn't want to eat his dinner, he shouts stop it at the plate.
A child he doesn't know sits near him and he tells them to stop it.
Ladies talking too loudly in cafe, he shouts stop it blush
When people laugh and he is not in on the joke

So far I have said, "thats not kind, we don't tell people to stop it" type things but it continues. It's annoying more than anything because it makes him sound like a grouch when really he is not! Is this a phase? When will he stop it! wink

imperialstateknickers Tue 23-Oct-12 11:43:46

I imagine he'll Stop It when he finds something else to annoy you with!

The trouble is that it will be getting a reaction - probably laughs - which he will be finding entertaining when you're out and about.

However, since he has the attention span of a two year old grin he will get bored of it, especially as it will not be producing anything for him at home.

Good luck gritting your teeth until then...

lukeiamyourmother Tue 23-Oct-12 11:55:12

But if we dont "stop it" (whatever the thing is that's wound him up this time) he will cry and wail and cling to me. My DM has laughed but she's the only one. I normally say "But they are only laughing/eating/talking/breathing, and that's good!" through a plastered on smile!

Halfcups Wed 24-Oct-12 14:42:03

Oh the joys of being two! I m on my third two year old and I still die with embarrassment at some of the things she does when out in public. Try and ignore, smile at strangers, don't go out for the next year! Seriously when 'stop it!' Stops then something else, equally unpalatable will start. It's a phase that one day you will look back at and laugh!?!?!?!

Iggly Wed 24-Oct-12 14:42:50

Tell him what to say instead?

midseasonsale Wed 24-Oct-12 19:43:17

yes agree tell him what he should be saying.

TheCountessOlenska Wed 24-Oct-12 20:51:29

Oh mine says terrible things at the moment!

"STOP TALKING" If I'm trying to speak to another adult

"That's MY . . . ." other child's toy, park bench someone else is sitting on, someone else's meal arriving in a restaurant etc. Followed by face like thunder.

All said in piercing tones.

I try and ignore it all but I am blush blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now