Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bath time nightmare!

(11 Posts)
Bubblicious77 Mon 22-Oct-12 22:01:12

My 15 wk old DD has never liked getting dried after her bath but tonight we have had a melt down like I have never experienced before.
She cried so much she went purple, made her self sick, then started choking and struggling to breathe. I have never been so scared in my life.
I am now terrified about what will happen next time as it seems to be getting worse each time we do it.
Does anyone have experience of this and have any tips for making the drying bit less stressful?

MrsCantSayAnything Mon 22-Oct-12 23:32:47

Bathe her less often! smile It won't do any harm...and make sure the room is nice and warm. Warm up her towel....get her one of those hoodie ones and feed right after bathing.

Asmywhimsytakesme Tue 23-Oct-12 00:09:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ZuleikaD Tue 23-Oct-12 07:55:27

It may well be hurting her - a baby's skin is 15 times thinner than an adult's and much more sensitive. A bath once a week for a toddler is generally enough, and I agree with making sure the towel is
a) very large (most toddlers like bath sheets)
b) warm and
c) soft.
Get a new one if necessary, go shopping for it specially and explain that it's her special new towel for after the bath. Don't 'dry' her just wrap her in it and cuddle her till she's dry. Rubbing dry is bad for the skin anyway.

Bubblicious77 Tue 23-Oct-12 08:13:34

Thanks for your posts. I'm only bathing two or three times a week but I think I'll do it even less for a while. I'll also try the warm fluffy towel and cuddling her dry.
Fingers crossed!

Downbytheocean Tue 23-Oct-12 08:16:26

Also make sure she's definitely not too tired or hungry before bath. You could try a small feed and bath at least an hour before bed to be sure. Ds2 (18wks) loves the bath bur has a meltdown getting out if it's nearly bedtime.

ZuleikaD Tue 23-Oct-12 08:37:33

Oh, and a lot of babies don't like actual bathtubs. DD used to like baths in the sink. You could change the time of day, too (bath in the morning).

Asmywhimsytakesme Tue 23-Oct-12 09:20:52

Asmywhimsytakesme Tue 23-Oct-12 09:21:28

BlablaSos Tue 23-Oct-12 16:42:37

How about getting a bottle of milk ready for as soon as she gets out of the bath and letting her drink it whilst you dry her? My dd has had two phases of hating baths, they both ended after a few weeks. Good luck!

NorthernChinchilla Tue 23-Oct-12 20:44:37

My DS was the same, we used to feel like hitting the gin after bathing him confused...fine to begin with, and then really took against them.

I took the advice on here to bathe with him, and that sorted it- he was fine coming in with me, and now at 10 months cries when you take him out of the bath.
Obviously have someone there with you, but I'd say one bath a week and do it with her, and cuddle her dry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now