Talk

Advanced search

Sleep advice needed!

(13 Posts)
Penny2012 Mon 22-Oct-12 21:34:56

Hello! Would appreciate some advice from experienced mums. My son is 7 weeks and co sleeping (feeding to sleep then snuggling with me). This means an absolutely brilliant night's sleep for us both but during the day he won't nap. What should I do? He will go to sleep in my arms but wakes the second I put him down. He ends up crying as he's so tired and I'm worried he isn't getting the sleep he needs. He's only really getting about 10 hours sleep a day. I want to teach him to go to sleep from being awake in his own Moses basket but this is so difficult. Is trying to do this in the day but still cosleeping at night too confusing? Argh! Help!

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 22-Oct-12 21:45:04

Penny I think it may be too early to get him to self settle during the day. If you want him to go to sleep and don't want to hold him, try going to bed with him or using s sling.

Can't do links at the moment but try googling askdrsears 31 ways to get your baby to sleep smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 23-Oct-12 07:03:25

31 ways to get your baby asleep and stay asleep and 8 infant sleep facts every parent should know.

Keep posting and let us know how you get on today smile.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 23-Oct-12 07:32:45

Oh, and have you tried swaddling, white noise and putting one of DHs used tshirts in the moses basket, yours will smelll of milk so probably won't help.

If you want to try a sling, some childrens centres loan them out or find your nearest slingmeet here smile.

Penny2012 Tue 23-Oct-12 18:59:07

Wow. Such great advice. Thank you for taking the time to answer me with such good suggestions and the link. I was out today but he went for a walk in the evening with his dad and this allowed him to have a good nap. I'm in on my own tomorrow so Ill try then and let you know how I get on! X

MamaBear17 Tue 23-Oct-12 19:33:50

I found swaddling was a life saver. But, I have to admit, in the day my dd slept on my until she was about 12 weeks. It was only once we had got a handle on the colic (by using Colief drops) that I was able to put her down. Good luck xx

Penny2012 Tue 23-Oct-12 22:53:37

Just managed to have him nod off with me, then transferred him to warmed bed with rolled up towels either side to keep him securely on his side. If he rolls onto his back it wakes him and he thrashes around angrily. We'll see how long it lasts.

I absolutely loved the links and the philosophy of teaching your baby that sleep is pleasurable and safe just hits the nail on the head! Thank you xx

Kiwiinkits Tue 23-Oct-12 23:13:52

establishing daytime naps is really important, IME. Try looking into daytime routines - now is a good time to start. Leave it much later and you may inadvertantly set up some sleep habits that will be hard to break.
Three books you may consider (each of which I found helpful as a first timer):

Secrets of the Baby Whisperer: How to Calm, Connect, and Communicate With Your Baby, by Tracy Hogg and Melinda Blau

Jo Frost's Confident Baby Care: What You Need to Know for the First Year from America's Most Trusted Nanny, by Jo Frost

Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, by Marc Weissbluth

Kiwiinkits Tue 23-Oct-12 23:16:46

Sample Baby Whisperer routines

Penny2012 Thu 25-Oct-12 16:29:58

I managed to get him to nap today! Used a wind down routine I invented wish inspiration from the fabulous dr sears and baby whisperer (although I find her attitude to many other things abhorrent). Took upstairs, closed curtains, swaddled and sang, lay down in Moses basket within crib and did shh-pat until asleep. Did this twice and it worked both times! Going to keep doing this in the day and will eventually use at night too. Felt so happy that it worked. I deliberately did a routine that any adult could do not just me (didnt involve a boob!)

Penny2012 Thu 25-Oct-12 16:31:22

When used at night it will involve bath and story and not coming back downstairs too! Knowing what you're going to try that will work for your family is important im realising! X

Penny2012 Fri 26-Oct-12 16:43:50

Worked again today! I had a completely different child in the evening. So calm and happy! Still slept at night too! Yaay!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 27-Oct-12 08:58:59

Just wanted to let you know that the baby whisperer isn't evidence based and is actually on the kellymom books to avoid list. Jo frost hasn't had children and her theories aren't evidence based either.

When I'm looking for advice on my children I want it from someone who at least has had a baby and their advice is evidence based like dr sears, kellymom, dr Tanya Byron and Caroline deacon. Actually I think you'd really like the book Babycalming by Caroline Deacon penny smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now