Talk

Advanced search

5y-o ds potty regression - advice please!

(2 Posts)
catanddog Mon 22-Oct-12 18:31:00

Having a bit of a parenting dilemma with my 5 y-o DS. He's a bright and happy little boy, and have never had any problems with him at all.

DS was potty trained at 2.5 years and we've had no accidents since. We took him out of night time pull-ups by 4 years old and had been dry at nights for ages, but he asked to keep his potty in his bedroom for any night time wees - of which there were very few (maybe 1-2 per week, but only if he'd woken early)
In the last 4 months we took the potty away as he'd stopped using it and would take himself off to the loo instead.
OK, now for the gross bit.....about 4 weeks ago he took a nap at lunchtime (he still likes a nap on either a saturday or a sunday for an hour) having just been for a poo. When I went to get him up, there was a poo smell, and to my horror there were skid marks all over the curtains. So I had calm words, but asked what was going on etc.... and he said that he felt he needed to re-wipe his bottom, so I asked why he hadn't just gone back to the loo and he said he didn't know.
2 weeks later I found a wet cushion on his bed where he had relieved himself. And last night (staying away from home) he weed on a child's chair and teddy in the corner of his bedroom in the middle of the night (despite him having a torch and us being in the room next door if he needed us to take him to the loo)
DH says it's completely normal, and that's what little boys do... confused
Should I reintroduce the potty in his room? Should we be being firm and punishment TBC, or accepting and understanding - I'm at a complete loss on this one. Or is this a totally normal and I'm overreacting?!

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 22-Oct-12 20:55:01

Of course you should put the potty back, but you don't really need us to tell you that do you? smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now