Talk

Advanced search

The Terribles...

(4 Posts)
BabydollsMum Sun 21-Oct-12 12:23:34

DD's only 20 months but I'm sure the terrible twos have started - yes, she had tantrums from 15 months ish but these have gone up 10 notches: sudden personality change (where's my beautiful, happy little girl gone?), total meltdowns if she doesn't get her own way, throwing herself backwards on the floor smacking her head and NO! NO! NO!, etc etc.

Is this it? It can't get any worse... can it?

Please tell me the truth, mums who've been through it. How long can I expect this to last? Months? [gulp] A whole year?

goodlifemummy Sun 21-Oct-12 20:10:27

My DS is also 20 months and I am going thru the exact same thing, it's driving me mental and I know it's going to be like this for a while (I also have DTD's age 7) grit your teeth, "this too will pass" and a glass of wine at the end of the day to reward yourself for not murdering the little darling....my favourite parts are the head banging and the throwing cars at the tv angryangryangry good luck, see you on the other side grin

KayteeB12 Sun 21-Oct-12 21:30:09

haha i know my little ones only 14 months but he too has started this lovely little phase and its driving me up the bleeping wall! I dread to think how ill cope when he reaches 20 months and hits the terribles with full force sad
i guess its one of those things we have to just ride out and look to the other side when we have our happy contended toddlers back xx

Iggly Sun 21-Oct-12 21:55:55

Mmmm I have a three year old and wouldn't describe them as proper tantrums any younger than 2. Instead it was him losing control of his emotions, particularly when tired/hungry/frustrated. The first two especially as he couldn't always articulate what was wrong.

Best thing was to make sure he had good naps, decent snacks and I lowered my expectations. They seem quite grown up but looking back he really was still so young and "simple minded", even though he could speak.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now