Talk

Advanced search

Help please!! 5 weeks old very unsettled baby

(6 Posts)
SpikeHairandFab Thu 18-Oct-12 20:51:09

Hello
My DD is 5weeks old,and is very VERY unsettled baby during the day,she's alright at nights,thanks God.
She's my third DC, EBF,and she either sleep (only in car or pram,at home is only 15-20 min,after 15 min rocking her in my arms), feed or scream ,and I am absolutely devastated by this.
I am so tired of her screaming I don't enjoy anything lately,and the worst of all my other 2 DC suffering because of this,I become very snappy,I don't smile or play with them ,cos I am permanently knackered.

I took her to GP 2 weeks ago,she referred me to paedtrician with her,and he said she's absolutely fine,thriving baby and I have to put up with her screaming and that's it really.

I've taken her to carnial osteopath 3 times,but I can't see any difference . I've started to think about giving up BF as I heard that FF feed babies are calmer???
But she's putting weight beautifully.

I just really don't know what else I can do? I've tried sling,swaddling nothing works.

I am really scared of myself,as I started to dislike her,I know it sounds horrible but I can't help that, I don't want to be mum anymore, I hate this screaming!!!
She never ever seems to be happy,contented baby,I feel like she hates me.
It is all so sad,our whole family is suffering cos of this tiny screamer.

She isn't colicky either,as my eldest very colicky,so I know how it looks.

Please, can any one help me??? I am at the end of my tether,please help me to enjoy her and this motherhood.

All advice will be most welcome.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 18-Oct-12 20:59:05

You poor, poor thing. Please give CRY-sis a call as they have some great tips on dealing with crying babies.

Has she been checked for tongue tie too? Is there a local bfing support group you could go to and get it checked by a BFC?

radiohelen Thu 18-Oct-12 21:06:40

My lo was like this. I carried him, I carried him all the time. It was a royal pain but it stopped the screaming. Do you have a sling? Does she calm when you carry her?
Do the things jilted suggests. She's right. Oh and btw yes Formula calmed my little one. I think the sugar in it makes them high or something. I added formula to the BF but he was failing to gain weight so we had to do something.
You have my sympathies as unless you have experienced it, you have no idea how traumatic it can be. People dismiss it as you being an "over-anxious" parent or just smile like you are exaggerating it.

girliefriend Thu 18-Oct-12 21:15:10

My dd was like this until I started implementing a fairly strict routine which was around the 10 wk mark when I was rocking in a corner of a dark room grin

I used <whispers> gina ford who worked well for us and definately saved my sanity (well just about wink )

Please don't take the screaming personally - your baby loves you and at this age doesn't even see you as a seperate being to themselves.

RowanTreesJoeAtChristmas Thu 18-Oct-12 21:28:06

Oh I could have written this myself a few months ago.... In fact, I did! I am sure you will find other countless threads like it too so please don't feel you're the only one going through this. Both my DS's have been terribley unsettled babies. DS1 was slightly worse than DS2 but both cried pretty much constantly. For us it was heartbreaking and I nearly lost the plot both times. It is the worst thing in the world to have a difficult baby when everyone else seems to be finding it so easy.

My DS1 is now 5 and he's (in my opinion!!) amazing! The crying gradually reduced and he became more settled but remained a very difficult baby really until he could walk and talk (I know not what you want to hear). But the good news is that it steadily got better every month, he got slightly happier, slightly more able to play and distract himself. With DS2 he was horrific for the first 3 months, still slowly improving week by week and he's 9 months now.

We tried everything with both of them, dairy free, reflux medication, cranial osteopathy, nothing worked, we just don't seem to breed happy babies :-( I would definitely take her to the doctors and get everything ruled out first though. Both times we have been referred to paediatrican at the hospital and all avenues were explored. If it's nothing medical then at least there is hope that it doesn't last forever. You will get through it.

Mangotreepink Thu 18-Oct-12 21:28:08

Hi, I totally sympathise, it is not easy at all! I can honestly say it will get better, I had similar experience, sounds odd but they just take a little time to adjust being in the world, hang on in there! Try giving your baby a bath when she is really screaming it changes their mood and gives you something to do rather than listening and holding her whist she screams. Maybe climb into the bath with her, this sometimes worked for mine and just gave me a break (albeit small!) sometimes a background noise like a Hoover works for some babies, it gives them something else o focus on. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now