Talk

Advanced search

Bring me your buckets of patience. I think mine has finally run out...

(2 Posts)
notjustamummythankyou Thu 18-Oct-12 18:33:52

My 3yo ds is delightful - funny and articulate, and sensitive and loving too.
I know he's only 3 and he's doing what 3 year olds do but this week I really feel at the end of my tether.

He's on the brink of dropping his lunchtime naps, and when he doesn't sleep, he turns into a hyperactive whirlwind. This is not necessarily a bad thing of course, but when it means I can't get him to walk safely with me from nursery, sit still long enough for dinner, in the bath, out of the bath, into bed . . .well, you get the picture. He's also incredibly independent and strongminded at times. Again, no bad thing, but it can often put us at loggerheads.

So, coupled with my dh working away at the moment and 7mo dd to care for as well, I just feel exhausted. I also feel incredibly guilty because I have shouted at him, and have felt totally shocked at the strength of my annoyance / impatience. I even caught sight of myself in the mirror, and the look on my face was atrocious. And that scares me.

I am reading about Naomi Aldort's Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves at the moment. All well and good, but now I feel even guiltier about losing my rag, and I am not sure if I can ever be the kind of mother she thinks we could and should be.

Any tips, so that we can all come through this unscathed??

bacon Thu 18-Oct-12 18:55:50

dont worry about it, all sounds perfectly normal. There is no such thing as a perfect patient mummy we all have chores and lives to get on with so the odd shout of disapproval isnt a bad thing.

DS2 is extremely naughty. Ds1 is 7 and testing, testing, testing - yells at me all the time!! DS1 was a blooming gorgeous baby and toddler, no problems, no shouting or anything so proves that however you react isnt going to have much adverse effect.

I dont know any normal mum who doesnt lose it, beleive me wait till they are older when you are shaking with rage, in tears and climbing the walls.

Its an emotional rollercoaster bring up children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now