Talk

Advanced search

3 year old - how often to you expect them to entertain themselves for a while?

(3 Posts)
oohdaddypig Thu 18-Oct-12 16:43:04

I don't have concerns as such, just wanted to canvass opinions.

I have a 3 year old DD. Generally easy, sociable, will happily look at books on her own for a while, build lego etc. Also loves playing with me which I can't always manage due to younger DCs, house stuff, cooking etc. sometimes I also just like 10 minutes to myself

I feel guilty when I try to get her to entertain herself for a while. But then I wonder whether this is probably good for her creativity etc.

So how often to you expect your younger DCs just to occupy themselves? Do you ever sit on the internet/read magazine whilst DC plays alongside?

Lavenderhoney Thu 18-Oct-12 16:50:23

Yes, when I am doing housework my 3 yr old amuses herself, and when cooking etc. all her toys nd books are where she can get them easily, and she will paint happily in the kitchen whilst I am busy. She likes to play in her bedroom with her dolls stuff too. It's impossible otherwise - also have to help dc with homework , dd has to be able to amuse herself.

Fifimoo Thu 18-Oct-12 16:50:54

I would love some pointers on this as well, my ds will not sit down and play, read a book etc and is permanently attached or wanting attention, sometimes I just want 10 minutes to clear the kitchen so that we can then go and do something fun, these days he helps, which means it takes about an hour - but would love him to entertain himself just for a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now