Talk

Advanced search

DS saying he wants to marry me when grown up

(20 Posts)
ksmum Thu 18-Oct-12 13:59:47

My DS (4) often tells me I am the most wondeful lady in the world. he has now started telling me he is going to marry me when he grows up because he wants to stay with me for ever even when I am a grandma,. i think this is perfectly normal and just say OK (he's not going to think it when he is 15 after all) but my DH says I should tell him he can't (he also thinks its a bit odd).

its not odd is it?

BardOfBarking Thu 18-Oct-12 14:02:29

My ds also 4 says this too. I've always said that he's not allowed to marry me because I'm in his family but that's OK because when you get married you promise to love someone for ever and ever but I promised him that the very day he was born.

He now says that he will be a 'law man' and change the law so that you can marry your mum grin I just give him a squeeze. He wont be saying it when he's 15.

So...... not odd at all!

FunnysInLaJardin Thu 18-Oct-12 14:02:39

not odd at all. DS1 often sayd he never wants to leave home and wants to stay forever and ever. It's sweet. DH has variously wanted to marry most of his friends and have his brother as 'the baby'. What does your DH think will happen if he is not corrected? That it might actually happen?

FunnysInLaJardin Thu 18-Oct-12 14:03:37

sorry, DS1 not DH grin Oh and DS1 is nearly 7

YellowRiver Thu 18-Oct-12 14:03:50

No it's not odd, I know loads of people who said this! Including me to my mum, and I'm a girl!

But my mum did say, 'well dear, you know people aren't really allowed to marry their mums and dads, but I'll always be your mum blah blah blah' - I think letting him down gently is OK too

WitchesWreakinHavoc Thu 18-Oct-12 14:04:15

I dont think it is odd but I do agree with your dH that you should correct him.

YouSmegHead Thu 18-Oct-12 14:05:32

I remember my little brother saying this, he seems to have accepted it wasn't to be and is now happily married to someone he is not related too grin

Mollydoggerson Thu 18-Oct-12 14:07:24

I don't think it's odd. i think I wanted to marry my dad when I was little. I remember having a fantasy about my dad driving me to a church in my wedding dress in his work truck. I don't ever remember there being a boy to get married to, the exciting part for me was being dressed up in the wedding dress and having a laugh with Dad driving in the truck.

Kids don't think things through. I would sorta ignore the comment or just take it as a little bit of fun and maybe set him straight very gently.

MegBusset Thu 18-Oct-12 14:07:54

No of course it's not odd.

DS1 (5) doesn't want to get married because he wants to stay with Mummy and Daddy forever. DS2 (3) wants to marry his Grandad smile

MegBusset Thu 18-Oct-12 14:09:53

DS2 is also very cross that he wasn't at mine & DH's wedding (seven years before he was born) and insists that he, DS1 and me all grew inside Daddy's tummy grin

DeWe Thu 18-Oct-12 14:10:59

Dd1 got so upset when we told her aged 4 that she couldn't marry daddy that we agreed on a compromise. We'd discuss it when she was nearly 16 which is old enough to marry.

She wouldn't want to marry him now. grin She's 11.

bigmouthstrikesagain Thu 18-Oct-12 14:13:59

Perfectly normal and there is no problem with gentle correction to set him right, my ds also wanted to marry his sisters which I also gently discouraged him from - grin They will feel very differently when they grow up so enjoy the devotion while it lasts!

ksmum Thu 18-Oct-12 14:16:43

thank you everybody. I dont want to say he cant as I know he'll get upset so I'll just let him be delusional for a while longer

Perfectly normal. Ds1 always wanted to marry me, he's copped on now though and has grand plans with his little friend instead now. They are 7! grin

He too is cross that he wasn't at out wedding so we have agreed to renew out vows in 2014 so he can be a our "wedding". (15 years we'll have been married!)

3duracellbunnies Thu 18-Oct-12 14:18:08

My dd2 (5) wants to marry dh's mobile phone, it is a galaxy 3 or something but even still!

Think the worst one was when dd1 said she wanted to marry daddy or thomas and dd2 said she couldn't because they were related. Dd2 then said she wanted to marry mummy. Dd1 said she couldn't because I would be too old to marry anyone when dd2 was grown up sad . I think a gentle correction is fine but not to make a big deal, he will grow out of it.

headinhands Thu 18-Oct-12 14:19:22

Aww ds used to say this all the time. I explained that he needs to marry someone he is not related to so after 5 seconds much thought he has decided to marry his best friend.

imperialstateknickers Thu 18-Oct-12 14:21:45

I distinctly remember wanting to marry my Daddy when I was very little, and both dds have made similar remarks. They have also wanted to marry all three of their uncles and both their male cousins. They've grown out of it now!

StaceeJaxx Thu 18-Oct-12 14:23:19

Aw it's very sweet. My sister used to always say she was going to marry our dad when she grew up. We love to tease her about it now. grin

seeker Thu 18-Oct-12 14:26:57

Ds wanted to marry his friends John and Daisy. Then hen discovered that boys can marry boys, so dropped Daisy like a stone.

balletmoo Thu 18-Oct-12 14:40:44

My sister always swore she would marry her pillow and that they would have lots of baby pillows... grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now