Talk

Advanced search

fairly typical 7 year old behaviour, or not?

(8 Posts)
DelGirl Wed 17-Oct-12 18:42:11

well, I guess it probably isn't. I have taken my dd who is 7 to a few different classes i.e gymnastics, music, singing, dance, judo etc. She will be very enthusiastic about them and then after about 10 minutes, she just mucks about and wants to do her own thing. I get concerned that she distracts the other kids hence move on to the next thing in the hope she will really love something.

She has always been the same and is a very strong character who can be hard to contain though she seems to be doing well at school on the whole with the odd bad day.

It is so frustrating as I feel she needs to channel all this energy somewhere.

Any suggestions please? At the moment, I am just going to stop taking her to anything except she has started hockey (which is more like friendly rounders kind of thing and fairly casual)

lljkk Wed 17-Oct-12 20:05:13

DS1 was a lot like that. He outgrew it. I think she'll settle at what she truly enjoys.

0liverb0liverbuttface Wed 17-Oct-12 20:20:21

It's not unusual at 7 I would say.

DelGirl Wed 17-Oct-12 20:55:38

thank you both, it is hard as you feel like you have the only child who is doing their own thing, i'm sure that is not the case but I can't remember seeing anyone else. It's not the end of the world, just wish she could get into something.

0liverb0liverbuttface Thu 18-Oct-12 22:02:47

It's probably just that you focus on your dd. my dd who is 8 was at Brownies tonight, I was watching her and when they were supposed to be concentrating on new brownies being enrolled, my DD was swinging her arms around and running on the spot like a hyperactive nightmare! But I looked around and there were at least two other kids totally distracted and doing odd things too!

It really is just the age.

mudipig Fri 19-Oct-12 18:37:40

Yes I'm paranoid about my 7 year old in this respect. She doesn't sit still. She does do things like gymnastics and swimming but always seems to drift off and do her own thing.

I've felt mortified by her running round the room in gymnastics at times, but after a year or so the teachers are used to her and make efforts to bring her back to what she's meant to be doing. The swimming teacher now tests her - "were you listening to me, what did i say". But she enjoys both activities despite this.

Would it be worth persevering with something and trying to get past that feeling that she's disrupting others? I have found that once the teachers get to know them, they'll make efforts to manage their behaviour.

mudipig Fri 19-Oct-12 18:39:56

Oh and yes I do think it's fairly typical. Several of her friends have had ballet outfits and tap dancing shoes bought for them and they've given up after one term.

FamiliesShareGerms Fri 19-Oct-12 18:57:36

Sounds very like DS. We found that persevering with one thing better than (as we were doing) flitting around between activities. I think the message that he's got behave because he's going back next week is better than an implicit message that it's ok to mess around because he can go and do something else

We have also found that having piano lessons has made a huge difference. Perhaps it's a coincidence, but one of the reasons for the lessons was to give him 30 mins a week 1:1 with no space to hide and be silly. Worth a go?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now