Talk

Advanced search

16mo old hitting

(7 Posts)
GingerPCatt Tue 16-Oct-12 08:34:44

My DS has started hitting me and DH. It's usually a light smack. When I say no and grab his hand he just does it again. Lather rinse repeat over and over until I can distract him with a toy or something.
Is there a better way to stop this behavior? He's getting to the tantrum stage and I'd like to nip this bad behavior as soon as I can. Thanks!

adoptmama Tue 16-Oct-12 08:44:10

I found an 'ow' followed by a very, very firm 'no' in a loudish voice worked because it had the startle factor, plus they learn to understand it hurts. If the DDs repeated I would lift them up and place them about 1m away from me each time. That seemed to produce results quickly as neither of them liked having that distance imposed between us.

ElinElin Tue 16-Oct-12 08:50:50

I don't have an answer but my 17 old month ds started doing this about a month ago. We have been doing something similar to you and he doesn't seem to understand. He keeps doing it, and not really cause he is angry. He does it when playing. If I hear of any solutions I will let you know. Will be following this thread.

GingerPCatt Tue 16-Oct-12 12:20:59

Ive noticed today that he seems to hit mainly to get my attention. He mainly does it if I'm in the phone or talking to DH. I think the ow and removing him might work since it removes the attention he wants.
Will report back (fingers crossed).

Montypig Tue 16-Oct-12 22:25:51

I have the same with my ds- we tried removing him from the room for 30 seconds - worked for a bit - now he takes himself off following a hit , generally muttering to himself "mummy hit" which is nice ! Will watch other solutions with interest

GingerPCatt Wed 17-Oct-12 08:45:40

Yesterday I tried grabbing his hand and saying a firm no and then turning away from him. He cried and didn't hit for the rest of the evening. smile
This morning he hit me again when I was getting him into his buggy (he wanted to be carried). I said no again, but we'll see how the rest of the day goes. I know it takes awhile for these lessons to sink in.

Moominsarescary Wed 17-Oct-12 09:00:01

I think you just have to be consistent whatever you do. Ds3 is 19 months now and we can tell when a smack might be coming. He holds his hand up but doesn't go straight in for the smack anymore so we are able to say no smacking. 9/10 he will put his hand back down.

Same with throwing, he's been terrible for throwing toys at his brothers. They do learn not to. It can just take a few months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now