Talk

Advanced search

Toddler activities for rainy days

(6 Posts)
GingerPCatt Tue 16-Oct-12 08:23:49

Does anyone have any ideas for fun things to do with a very active toddler inside? I try to get to the park most days so he can run around, but with rainy weather it's difficult.
Ideally id like ideas for low mess activities but I can deal if it keeps him happy and occupied.
Many thanks!

Iggly Tue 16-Oct-12 09:25:51

Do get some decent waterproofs and get him out in the rain if you can.

Otherwise drawing, stickers etc (DS could roughly hold a crayon at that age and use stickers), "washing up" (stand on a chair at the kitchen sink and let him splash about). Reading, help you cook (it'll be messy). They have such a short attention span at that age it's best not to expect much more than 5-10 mins of interest. I found I could pass the time if I let ds help me with chores (the aim wasn't to get the chores done, just to pass the time!). Eg vacuuming, dusting etc.

PoisonMountain Tue 16-Oct-12 09:46:52

If you have a long corridor, a skittle set or ping pong balls.
Balloon to chase.
I usually opt for the waterproofs and park else he gets too destructive. Buy yourself decent wellies/boots, rain trousers and coat and join in with the puddle splashing!

BertieBotts Tue 16-Oct-12 10:02:12

How old?

Sticker books can be good and calming!
Have a bath in the middle of the day, or sit him in the (empty) bath to do messy/water play.
Get him to "help" you tidying, cleaning, putting washing away etc. It'll take 2-3 times as long but that means he's been occupied for all that time, the job still gets (mostly!) done, and he's learning to pitch in wink You can usually substitute cleaners for less harsh ones, like using washing up liquid & warm water solution to wipe down sides, grubby door frames, etc rather than a more concentrated spray.
Invite people over, with children or without children, or go visiting - they love variety and different people play new games! The company is good for you, too.

Visit free places like the library, children's centres, children's museums etc if money is tight. If you have a small fund then things like swimming, soft play, tumble tots, music/dance groups etc are great.

DVDs grin games - CBeebies website has some good ones. Simple board games or card games like snap, snakes and ladders, orchard games ones, once they're old enough (some are suitable from age 2)

Playing with a train set or megablocks or duplo. I used to make a deal with DS that I'd help him build it and then I had to go, so if he wanted to play he played by himself and he seemed to like this.

A good old-fashioned romp and wrestle on the bed! Taking the sofa cushions off and using things like packaging boxes or blankets or more cushions to make a slide. Hang a sheet on an airer, and you have a den. When the weather is dry, go to a £1 shop or supermarket and ask for big cardboard boxes, then you can play climbing in and out of boxes!

Put some music on and have a dance and a sing, join in with air guitars, bang on saucepans, etc. Follow this with a DVD so you can adjust the volume to suit your headache wink

Also I agree with get some waterproofs and go splashing. Put the heating on before you go and make sure you have enough milk to make proper hot chocolate smile

BertieBotts Tue 16-Oct-12 10:03:39

Oh yes balloons are genius - and if you can find some, they do them with LEDs inside so that they glow grin it's amazing. Especially good for early dark winter evenings or stormy dark autumn afternoons - close curtains, make sure there are no hazards in the room to trip over and play catch with the glowing balloon grin

GingerPCatt Tue 16-Oct-12 12:18:49

Thanks for the ideas! DS is 16 mo so some art and puzzles are beyond him at the moment. Love the tent in the living room and the balloon ideas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now