Talk

Advanced search

Average age of taking side off cot bed

(22 Posts)
EdithPiaffislucky Mon 15-Oct-12 22:20:07

I'm terrified of taking the side of my DT's cot beds down, but they seem to be getting heavier by the second (which means a lot of lifting over the side). Just wondering what the average age is for converting cot to a bed?

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Mon 15-Oct-12 22:25:29

<interested lurker>

<rather forgets the definition of To Lurk. Dur>

Handsfulloffun Mon 15-Oct-12 22:30:35

We did it with DT's at around 20 months, they were climbing out of cotbeds by then so we thought it would be safer.

ilikesweetpeas Mon 15-Oct-12 22:33:59

At 2 years 7 months

EdithPiaffislucky Mon 15-Oct-12 22:37:49

Thanks Hands. Will wait until it's more dangerous (due to climbing) to be in cot than in bed. Did they start running all over the bedroom, climbing up on stuff and picking things up, wielding them about? Tonight it was the trim from the shower door which they'd just practically dismantled. Funny in retrospect but could have been lethal.

BertieBotts Mon 15-Oct-12 22:38:09

Moved DS to his own bed at 2.2

Only just stopped falling out of it at 4 grin

londonmackem Mon 15-Oct-12 22:38:41

DS hated the cot so about 14 months.

EdithPiaffislucky Mon 15-Oct-12 22:40:30

Am wondering if you wait til later - talking properly - they might take more notice to your "stay in bed" instructions pleading.

BertieBotts Mon 15-Oct-12 22:42:23

I co-slept up until this point grin so I continued to stay with DS until he was asleep at first, and if he woke in the night he only came into my bed anyway. They grow out of it smile

BlueyDragon Mon 15-Oct-12 22:43:03

DD at around 2.5; it took her a month to work out she could even get out of the bed (we put a bed guard up).

DS has just gone into a bed at 2 years 7 months as he is a giant and I can't lift him was doing the climbing out thing. Thus far he has been ok even though he knows he can get out. There is a stair gate across the bedroom door though so he can't go roaming outside his room.

Handsfulloffun Mon 15-Oct-12 22:45:09

Edith - it was horrible.

It was almost like they had moved out of home in to a flat and had a wild party every night.

I would wait till you can bribe reason with them.

BlueyDragon Mon 15-Oct-12 22:45:12

IME better communication doesn't avoid the repeated putting back into bed phase. Wish it did...

fancynancypants Mon 15-Oct-12 22:48:46

We moved DS from cot straight to full size single bed (with a guard) at 23 months. At 37lbs I simply couldn't lift him into his cot anymore and he looked ridiculously big for it. He was totally fine (he in fact decided himself he wanted to sleep in the bed).

fancynancypants Mon 15-Oct-12 22:49:34

Ps - he hasn't got out once (yet...)

RandomMess Mon 15-Oct-12 22:51:01

As late as possible, I reckon was nearer 3 for each of them...

issimma Mon 15-Oct-12 22:53:49

We took the cot side down at about 18mo and dd moved into a bed at 20mo (we need the cot for dc2!). No problems so far, she calls us or cries in the morning as a month on, doesn't realise she can get out by herself grin.

EdithPiaffislucky Mon 15-Oct-12 22:56:08

Hands grin. This is what I'm afraid of. Very afraid. OH not here during the week .... Yep will definitely keep side of cot up until I absolutely cannot lift them anymore.

Handsfulloffun Tue 16-Oct-12 12:45:56

How old are your 2 Edith, we found although it was very mad for a few weeks the novelty did wear off after a while and they settled back in to a routine.

My 2 are very energetic and "spirited" anyway and tend to bounce off eachother so we knew we were in for a bit of a ride.

I think what didnt help was doing it mid spring so very light evenings which only helped to keep them awake.

7 months on and we still have to seperate them sometimes - they have 1 warning then we put one of them in to a travel cot in our room ( it has canvas sides and they cant get a decent enough grip to climb out)

Hersetta Tue 16-Oct-12 13:49:39

With my DD we took the bars off when she potty trained so she could get up and go to the toilet - so around 2.6.

EdithPiaffislucky Tue 16-Oct-12 21:22:04

Hello Hands - I forgot to say Thank You for your first post. They're 20 months. Yep "spirited" is a VERY good word to describe mine. Like dogs, they work as a team. I turned round in the garage today and one of them was half way up a 5' ladder which electrician had left out yesterday. The other one was trying to wedge him off his perch. I know I will look back and laugh grin I like the zero tolerance policy with the travel cot but will not brave taking sides down until they start climbing out, methinks. They sound similar to yours.
Thank you everyone who replied.

Splatt34 Thu 18-Oct-12 09:21:52

22 months. has never got out or fallen out. lies in bed chatting to toys, banging legs until we go in to get her up.

fancynancypants Thu 18-Oct-12 14:06:36

Splatt - DS does exactly the same thing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now