Talk

Advanced search

Wonder Week 12 - your experiences

(19 Posts)
lucylookout Mon 15-Oct-12 19:20:37

DS is currently 12 weeks and 2 days (according to due date, not delivery date) and since middle of last week has become even more quite hard work. It feels like he spends a lot of the time wailing (didn't really cry that much before, just when tired/hungry but easily consoled); if he's in the car seat he wails, if he's in the pram he wails, if he's just woken up he wails, if he's tired he wails. You get the picture. He is EBF and is fussing a bit when latching on. Something seems to displease him that was alright before. Sleep-wise he's always been pretty bad, but at night he goes to sleep sleepy but awake (with dummy) quite easily and happily, but then wakes up every 1 1/2 hours or so. Recently replacement of dummy doesn't work, nor does BF. He just stays unsettled and eventually through a combination of cuddling, hand on chest, stroking cheek etc etc he goes back to sleep (for about 40 minutes). During the day he's only catnapping. Again he falls asleep fairly easily, mainly in sling, or pram or cot too, but wakes up after 20 or 30 mins and has maybe 4 naps a day, so really isn't getting very much daytime sleep.

Developmentally, things are definitely happening. He is straining at the neck to sit up and when sitting up supported, strains forwards even more. He has learnt how to roll onto his side and spends a lot of time practicing. He 'talks' a lot, making really gorgeous noises. He reaches out to touch things and enjoys studying his feet. He also chews his hands a fair bit.

Has anyone else found this week quite challenging, for baby and family? Is it because of the wonder week or has my baby turned into a major grump for good? Would love to hear your experiences.

ElphabaTheGreen Mon 15-Oct-12 19:51:23

Mine discovered boredom at this age, which explained his mood. Feeding and sleeping weren't the only things he was crying for anymore. I upped sessions on his playmat and got a really good baby gym which seemed to cheer him up.

lucylookout Mon 15-Oct-12 21:03:18

I know what you mean elphaba, he is enjoying bopping things on his baby gym and I've brought out ds1's first box of toys that ds2 enjoys looking at and reaching for (rattles and crinkly books etc). But I think I've got that covered and don't feel it's the root of his current crankiness....

Asmywhimsytakesme Mon 15-Oct-12 21:05:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lucylookout Mon 15-Oct-12 22:08:25

Thanks asmywhimsytakesme, did the sleep regression improve before the big 4 month sleep regression kicked in <asks hopefully>?

GailTheGoldfish Mon 15-Oct-12 22:14:05

DD is 12+1 today and something is definitely going on with her, she seems to want to feed for shorter periods and pulls her head back and arches away when she's finished and when she gets tired she really gets whingy and needs rocking to sleep rather than falling asleep n the boob as she did before. I think she's either having a growth spurt or about to do something new - she giggled for the first time today which was amazing!

lucylookout Mon 15-Oct-12 22:19:12

Gail, have you heard of the wonder weeks? They're weeks of crankiness which precede developmental leaps. There's one at 12 weeks (but calculate from due date, not actual birth date). See if any of it rings true with you. I'd never heard of them with ds1 and just have a iPhone app on someone's recommendation.
It'd be interesting if someone came along with a some more knowledge/experience if them.

GailTheGoldfish Mon 15-Oct-12 22:27:36

I hadn't heard about them before seeing a couple of posts recently Lucy, but will look for more info so I can prep myself for what's coming!

lucylookout Tue 16-Oct-12 04:19:22

Bump
Anyone else?

freelancegirl Wed 17-Oct-12 11:19:39

Me! I have the wonder weeks book too. DS was 13 weeks yesterday and in week 12 definitely was more cranky. He also woke twice a night for about 4 nights and fed constantly. Development wise he's also doing what your little one is - holding head more, playing more, chewing on fists a lot and a lot more 'chatting'. V cute! Am hoping the terrible sleep is over with now as we have had two better nights in a row. But you never know of course.

Is the next one 16 weeks or 19? Wonder weeks say we should be due a break from fussy weeks for a few weeks until week 19 but I've also heard lots of people talk about a 'four month sleep regression'. Aggh!

lucylookout Wed 17-Oct-12 11:40:04

Hi freelancegirl I'm glad I'm not the only one! DS seems to have come out the other side of it too. He only woke twice last night for a feed (and believe me, for us that is BRILLIANT) and today he seems an all round happy chappy again.
I think wonder weeks and sleep regressions aren't necessarily related, which means we have the four month sleep regression at 16 weeks followed by the week 19 wonder week (which goes on for a lot longer than a week doesn't it?) Let's make the most of it while we can!

freelancegirl Wed 17-Oct-12 11:44:14

It's a pain isn't it as it always kicks in just when you feel you've got things worked out! But I guess then another good stage starts with lots of new skills to entertain us so we can look forward to them ending! I was thinking the fist chewing might also be early signs of teething

LeBoob Wed 17-Oct-12 11:52:07

So glad I found this thread! Dd is 12 weeks & 2 days and for the last 3 nights just would not settle! Boob then pull off, scream, wants boob, doesn't want boob. Repeat!

Argh I've been racking my brain as to what's been done differently, but nothing!

gail I feel your pain!

lucylookout Wed 17-Oct-12 13:52:43

leboob sounds very familiar! It does sound like what DS was doing during wonder week, so at least it won't last too long and you will get your baby back soon smile

LeBoob Wed 17-Oct-12 16:22:03

It's so bloody exhausting, she won't take boob, she won't be put down! Argh! She starts crying spontaneously! She's had a corner of a back tooth through for weeks and we can't figure out if its that or not!

lucylookout Thu 18-Oct-12 10:24:02

Leboob, it does sound like what DS was like. Also, no one could hold him but me. Do you have any other dc? The back teeth are the very last to come through normally (around 2 years from memory), but I think all the teeth are there already under the gums waiting to come through, so they could be causing her problems. You could give her a dose of calpol. If her mood improves you'll know you're onto something. If she stays the same then it's probably just wonder week 12 or one of the many other phases they go through to keep us on our toes!

GailTheGoldfish Sat 20-Oct-12 08:31:35

I am ordering the book today...... My brilliant sleeper has, for the past two nights, clearly needed to be put to bed earlier so that's what I have done, but she has woken twice both nights and also has decided that 6.45am is time to get up..... Before falling asleep again an hour later! Argh...... I was enjoying the 6 1/2 hour sleep stretches she was doing before! Leboob, Lucy, freelancegirl - how are you doing?

LeBoob Sat 20-Oct-12 10:42:51

lucy it's defiantly the back tooth it's broke the skin! Apparently I have a mutant child!

This weeks not been helped by me and dd getting some cold type thing! I'm hoping it doesn't move to my chest, does anyone know any cold and flu tablets I can take while breastfeeding? I'm up to my eyeballs on honey and lemon!

I'm thinking the onset of the cold didn't help her mood, it's just made her even more clingy! Bah!

lucylookout Sat 20-Oct-12 10:57:49

Leboob, I think it's just paracetamol you can take still. Check with your chemist to be sure. Crikey about the tooth! A friend of mine's baby was born with a (front) tooth so you're not alone.
Gail, hope you're getting rest during the day. DS is pretty good during the day mood wise, the nights are still rubbish but I think I just haven't got a sleeper. We took the side off the cot yesterday and pushed it against the bed so that I can feed/shush him more easily and that seemed to work quite well last night.
Also, I got my period this week (sorry if tmi!) and it reminded me that with ds1 he 'went off' the taste of my milk before I got AF, so I think thus us why ds2 had been a bit fussy about bf.
Have a good weekend!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now