Talk

Advanced search

2.6 year old hitting.

(6 Posts)
NoToastWithoutKnickers Mon 15-Oct-12 16:56:21

It's mainly me on the receiving end when she's cross, but she also does it to friends if she doesn't want to share a toy.

Sometimes she'll tell me that she's hit someone after the event and it's difficult to find out whether it's true or not. Recently she mentioned a boy's name and said she hit him. I've never heard of this boy before and asked if she met him at pre-school or when she was at her dad's. She said when she was with her dad and I questioned her more about what her dad did. It all sounded perfectly feasible until today when I realised that this boy goes to her pre-school and is nothing to do with her dad at all confused

I've told her in every way I can think of why she shouldn't and I genuinely believe she understands that it's wrong, but how do I actually stop it? I hate that she does it for so many reasons.

sad

Twinkleinmyeye Mon 15-Oct-12 18:59:44

My DS1 (2.11yo) is a bit like this. He lashes out usually at his cousin (they spend a lot of time together) and it's always because one or other of them doesn't want to share. I don't think there are any quick fixes. I think it's a phase which will pass, (in the same way that some children are biters), and I think the best thing we can do is to keep explaining and reminding why we don't hit under any circumstances, praise them on occasions where they might have hit but didn't, and above all pre-empt the situation by removing them before hitting occurs (less easy if they're not with us, granted!).

Just wanted to say you are not alone... smile

Valdeeves Mon 15-Oct-12 19:19:42

Yep - the above post is brilliant and you are not alone. I'm still
trying to crack it with my nearly three year old after a year.
I think some kids are just hitters and as long as you are doing the
above - all you can do is wait it out.
Very hard I know. Please feel free to PM of you need to get a bad day off your chest and want some support.

CravingSunshine Mon 15-Oct-12 19:27:48

NoToast I'm in the same boat. See my post on this BandD thread - 2yr laughs at me.... I have been going nuts recently as it's been happening for the last 5 months and it riles me when he smacks his baby sister in the face when all she's doing is sitting on the floor playing with a toy that has nothing to do with him. I have been avoiding playgroups with no outdoor space as that seems to spark him off and he'll hit other kids on the head not just with his hands but sometimes with buckets or spades blush.
One thing I have thought about though, is trying to monitor what triggers the hitting. Have you done this? I have a feeling it's borne out of frustration (he can't talk well at all) and lack of attention (baby gets lots because she needs more nappy changes and milk). So I need to stop clearing up and try and spend more solid time with him. Difficult though as DD2 has started crawling and climbs up onto my legs which is hard to ignore. I'm with you on the sheer tedium of this phase! confused

NoToastWithoutKnickers Mon 29-Oct-12 13:14:24

I'm so so sorry not to respond to your kind responses. Life went mad and I totally forgot about this thread.

Thank you very much for your advice smile

NoToastWithoutKnickers Mon 29-Oct-12 13:14:44

Sorry. Crap first sentence blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now