Talk

Advanced search

Slow development

(5 Posts)
aries1977 Mon 15-Oct-12 16:30:58

Please help,
I hate this word but I’m not sure of the word to use. There is something “wrong” with my 8 year old. I’ll list my concerns:
He’s behind at school. He’s probably around the educational age of a 4 or 5 year old.
He can’t read.
He plays like a toddler, (when comparing him to other children and/or toddlers)
He wants my attention or to be with me all the time.
He’s very touchy feely, cuddling, kissing, stroking. It’s good that he can show affection, but it is, in my opinion too ‘much’.
He has few friends at school.
His attention span is minimal.
He gets quite upset at anything new, (trying food, trying new activities, going anywhere new)
This may not all seem much, but as a parent I just know this isn’t right.
Please help

BertramBertram Mon 15-Oct-12 16:38:22

I'm not an expert on any of this I'm afraid. Just starting out on the road to see if DS (6) is dyspraxic. Some of the things you mention are similar to my DS. How is your DS at things such as buttons, bikes, writing etc?

It might be worth posting in special needs as there are a lot of people over there with great experience & insight.

Good luck.

BertramBertram Mon 15-Oct-12 16:39:38

Forgot to mention. A lot of the things about DS I thought he was slow at etc seemed insignificant and I put down to kids developing at different rates. It's only when I looked at dyspraxia that a lightbulb went off in my head.

Ineedalife Mon 15-Oct-12 16:59:13

Is he on the special needs register at school?

Does he have an IEP?

Are the school worried about him. Sometimes them not being means nothing but some schools are good at picking up special needs.

sorry for all the questions and I agree with Bertram about coming over to the special needs board, we are really friendly over there and there are lots of knowlegable people toosmile

aries1977 Mon 15-Oct-12 18:18:04

Hi,

Thanks for the answers.
He can ride a bike, self taught at very early age. Writing is pretty bad, but he's behind in all aspects of education.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now