Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

is 10mo too early to drop to 1 nap a day?

(11 Posts)
GeeandTee Mon 15-Oct-12 10:13:12

DD is 10mo and slept really badly since 6mo but is now sleeping much better and seems to want to drop her morning nap. If I get her down she wakes after 5-10mins full of beans. If I dropped this one she would just have one nap at 1.30 - 2.30/3. Is it too early to be going down to one nap? I'm worried about her getting over tired.

DS was still having 3 naps a day at this stage and sleeping through the night, which is why I need a bit of reassurance about going down to one nap so early.

Basically, I'm not sure if I need to keep persevering to get her to have her morning nap or give up?

Pascha Mon 15-Oct-12 10:16:38

Don't persevere if she's telling you she doesn't want it. I think DS went to 1 nap around 11-12 months. She might even extend the later nap to 2 hours if you do let her drop the morning one.

ellesabe Mon 15-Oct-12 14:15:14

My dd went down to one nap at about 10mo but couldn't quite make it until after lunch without a meltdown so we gave her a substantial snack mid-morning and she had her nap 11-1. Then had lunch when she woke.

Dd is now 23mo and her nap has gradually become later. She now has lunch first but still needs 2 hours from 1-3pm.

GeeandTee Mon 15-Oct-12 17:14:05

elle that's kind of what I'm worried about as DS has his nap after lunch and if they nap at different times I'll never be able to leave the house or do anything! She ended up falling asleep when I fed her at 11 then took ages to go down for her pm nap. Hmmmm, will see what happens tomorrow...

Madallie Tue 16-Oct-12 18:31:54

Hi GeeandTee, I just posted the exact same thing on sleep thread for mydd who is 10mo. Confusing isn't it?

My dd was refusing pm nap for about 3/4 weeks. This then stoped but was replaced with wakng at 5.30am rather than 6.30 or 7.

I still don't know whether to do down to 1 nap or not. At the moment I have pushed both naps later and bedtime at 7.45pm rather than 6.45pm. This way she is sleeping same hours as when waking at 5.30am but at least I can stay in bed til 6.30ish.

Still don't know whether I should really be just dropping to one nap though. She managed 4.5hrs of A time easily after she wakes for the day and am thinking she could really handle more!

Very complicated this napping business!

MainlyMaynie Tue 16-Oct-12 18:49:40

My DS was about 10 months when he went down to one nap. It's quite nice, makes going out a lot easier!

FantabulousFryingPan Tue 16-Oct-12 19:30:24

My ds went down to one nap at 9 months. He dropped the afternoon one though and kept the morning one!

GeeandTee Tue 16-Oct-12 19:37:33

I had to drive somewhere this morning so thought I would test it out by going out when DD would usually have her nap, as I figured if she was tired she would sleep in the car. She didn't, and didn't fall asleep at her 11am feed either, but was then a nightmare to get down for her post-lunch nap and woke after 30 mins, so I'm guessing she was over tired? She then feel asleep while I was feeding her at 3pm. Its complicated! Will try again tomorrow and see what happens. She hasn't eaten much today either so might just be off colour, or teething.

ZuleikaD Wed 17-Oct-12 07:59:00

Individual babies have different needs, but it would be very unusual to drop to one nap this young. The average is 15 months to go to one, and not getting enough sleep can be bad for all sorts of reasons. Your DD is only getting an hour at her lunchtime nap - I would expect her to be sleeping for more like two to three hours before she was ready to go down to one. I'd persevere for the moment - a different routine can often be needed at this stage in order to get them to carry on sleeping in the mornings.

MainlyMaynie Wed 17-Oct-12 08:38:18

Hadn't noticed that she only sleeps for an hour in the afternoon, I wouldn't have thought that would be enough. DS still has 2 hours on average.

Goldenjubilee10 Wed 17-Oct-12 19:16:44

Mine were all down to one nap by that age but slept from 1pm - 4/430pm ish which suited me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now