Talk

Advanced search

Help my 5 year old is the devil child

(8 Posts)
noyouhavehadawee Sun 14-Oct-12 18:59:16

He is just soooooooo shouty whiney and rude at the moment. He has screamed and screamed tonight because i ask him to do something then when i tell him off he just screams back at me i hate you you idiot etc... nice stuff you know! This morning he had the opportunity to go to the park with dh and dd whilst i cooked dinner and had an almighty tantrum because this involved him having to get dressed - result was he didnt go then the rain came so we never go theer and now he is moaning that the weekend was boring blah blah. Anyway he is in bed now and quiet so i am researching an army of info so tomorow is another day. Does anyone know anything about 1 2 3 magic and can tell me what that involves?

PiedWagtail Sun 14-Oct-12 19:13:25

I can sympathise - my 5yo ds is very similar. He is very tired after school - think he needs a holiday. Year 1 is hard work. Can recommend 123 Magic- you basically count after every cheeky comment/misbehaviour and when you get to three (that is, 3 bits of misbehaviour) he goes to his room for 5 mins time out. no muss no fuss no discussion.

noyouhavehadawee Sun 14-Oct-12 19:21:30

Thanks, im just trying to google bits of it, reading about the positive behaviour praising etc... so i dont ignore bad behaviour i just count then react (without giving myself a sore throat!). Hes six next month i have threatened his birthday and he doesnt give a toss - roars at me which i do ignore jeeez.

onetothree Sun 14-Oct-12 20:39:19

I could have written your exact post. Our ds behaviour seems to go in waves, not sure if its linked to testosterone surges. Have said to dh tonight that I feel really sad that I don't like him much at the moment! We have got 20 month old b/g twins, If he's got one on one it is much calmer but obviously it can't be like that all the time.

Just wanted to say you're not alone and fingers crossed it is only a phase.

noyouhavehadawee Mon 15-Oct-12 14:03:03

Thanks for that, its not easy is it, anyway when the storm had settled last night i went into his room and calmy told him we were not happy and wanted the nice ds back and that we would start afresh today andhe would get up and show us how he was a big boy and would just get dressed and be nice. This morning was so much calmer, he got dressed in record time and i kept up the praise which i probabyl dont normally as im not a morning person either. Then i said he could play for 10 mins because he had done so lovely - seemed to work, thig is then i take my eye of the 10 yr old and she starts being a pest - i need to have my wits about me grin. oh i also told him last night when he is rude or naughty i will count and when i get to three total naughty actions or rudeness growling etc he will go straight to his room for 5 mins - no discussion. We shall see how he is tonight after school, i wil probably be back to post what a devil he is again ! smile. Tghat something to do with the 123 magivc programme but i dont know all about that as yet just picked up them bits.

noyouhavehadawee Mon 15-Oct-12 14:06:54

My ds has also been un dry at night about the last year on and off (he was reliably dry for about a year + before this) so we have started him in dry nites because he kept waking up al wet so was hoping he would sleep on now and not be so tired and ratty - not really working as now he shouts to say he has weed in his nappy - thats another battle confused. I am told there is sod all we can do about this whole issue though and its common so were just dealing with it quietly.

onetothree Mon 15-Oct-12 19:56:26

How's it been today? We've had quite a good day, friend round after school for an hour, good as gold but were on the ds the whole time!

noyouhavehadawee Mon 15-Oct-12 19:59:58

Well he came in from school and i kept up the joy giddyness and he has been really good, playing nice and building lego. Slight wobble at bedtime but thats more to do with dh sitting his fat arse on the pc rather than helping out so ds and dd had a few daft moments to get hyper - got back on track fairly quickly and everyone now in bed happy. Colleague at work has trhe 123 dvd so gong to get that end of week and force dh to watch it for inspiration.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now