Talk

Advanced search

potty training - when to take a break?

(6 Posts)
ninipops Sun 14-Oct-12 10:07:27

we started potty training DD 4 months ago when she was 2.5 I know it was prob a bit early but she just wouldn't keep a nappy on so we decided to go for it. Now 4 months on she will go to the toilet on her own - after prompting (pees only) - will take off her nappy and go after nap time and in the morning but only after much prompting nagging and blatant threats. She seems to have made no progress at all in recognising when she needs to go. She refuses to poo in the toilet and doesn't tell us when she has had an accident. DH an I can ask if she needs to go the answer is always no but in 5 in we can find her sitting/standing in a puddle or having soiled herself. Some days are great as long as we get our timing right but others are just accident after accident. Reward charts seem to have no effect. Its starting to get to me. Also have DS 15 mths and DD2 is due in Jan so keen for this to work - don't want to spend every min of the day changing nappies!

ninipops Sun 14-Oct-12 10:08:17

Sorry should have added - any advice/suggestions welcome!

juneau Sun 14-Oct-12 10:13:49

Have you tried sticker charts and/or bribery?

Does she wear a nappy or pull ups?

Does she really like her pants and did she pick them (I persuaded DS1 that Lighning McQueen didn't liked being peed or pooed on!)?

ninipops Sun 14-Oct-12 10:20:00

Sticker charts, chocolate, favourite cartoons you name we have tried it but it makes no difference. She is in 'big girl' pants which she picks and gets really excited about it when new ones are revealed but again seems to make no difference.

juneau Sun 14-Oct-12 13:56:53

In that case I think I'd put her back in nappies with the minimum fuss and leave it a month or two, then try again. You mention that she won't keep a nappy on though - so would some pink pull-ups perhaps work better?

NellyTheElephant Mon 15-Oct-12 17:29:33

I would stop, but rather than nappies I do think you are best off putting her in pull ups so that she can continue to do the odd wee in the potty, but with no pressure and still treat her as if in nappies. Lots of people condemn pull ups, but I would say that a case like hers is exactly where they can be a benefit. In a month / 6 weeks, try full on nappy free training again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now