Talk

Advanced search

Flu jab

(8 Posts)
SweetLikeChocolate Wed 10-Oct-12 18:00:32

Should I give my 10 month old dd the flu jab? I have given it to my 8year old daughter as she is asthmatic and to my 4 year old son as he was there and has just started school but not sure if I am ruining my babies immunity by giving it to her. Any advice welcome.

hazeyjane Wed 10-Oct-12 18:03:45

I didn't think children were given the flu jab, unless there were medical reasons (like your dd's asthma)?

vodkaanddietirnbru Wed 10-Oct-12 18:04:41

is she in an at risk group?

SweetLikeChocolate Wed 10-Oct-12 23:46:25

She is 10 months... Is that high risk?

hazeyjane Thu 11-Oct-12 06:13:06

here is the list of people who are offered the flu vaccine on the nhs. An otherwise healthy under 1 would not be considered at risk, no.

I think there are plans to offer the vaccine to all cildren between 2 and 17, via nasal spray, but not for a few years.

hazeyjane Thu 11-Oct-12 07:45:47

I am surprised they gave it to your 4 year old, unless he has other health issues.

adoptmama Thu 11-Oct-12 08:01:58

My DD2 had it for health reasons. DD1 was offered it to minimise risk of counter infection to DD2 (since it is not 100% effective all the time). However when I went for the vaccinations to be given they declined DD1 on the grounds she had no health issues! confused

Case of right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing I think!

Personally I wouldn't immunise an infant this young if not needed but your dr. can presumably advise you on that?

SweetLikeChocolate Thu 11-Oct-12 14:27:19

Thanks guys. I think my doc is a bit jab happy.... DD1 needs it as she has asthma and DS1 i think was just in the wrong room at the wrong time! They both had the nasal spray and had no reaction... I am very conflicted on the whole jabs issue so on the basis that the big ones have had it i am not going to give it to DD2 as potentially they will not be bringing home that particular lurgy. I have stocked up on the homeopathy and will home for the best.... Just cant bring myself to pump virus into her lovely little body.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now