Talk

Advanced search

Two year check ups? Do they exist?

(17 Posts)
RubyrooUK Mon 08-Oct-12 22:29:04

Following on from another thread, is it normal for two year olds to have a Health Visitor check-up?

My DS has turned two and I've heard nothing so was just wondering. He hasn't been checked by a HV since he was three weeks old (my husband phoned seven times to get her to come) when I was told that not being high risk, I didn't need to see anyone again.

Do most places do two year check ups or is it a bit random? (I live in London by the way.) Just wondering.....

FunnysInLaJardin Mon 08-Oct-12 22:31:06

actually no, now you mention it. They did with DS1 5 years ago, but nothing for DS2 who is 2.5. We are 'low risk' so perhaps they don't have the funds to do it for everyone

FunnysInLaJardin Mon 08-Oct-12 22:31:23

oh and I live in the Channel Islands

LadyMetroland Mon 08-Oct-12 22:33:11

Not round here.

They're not really necessary though are they? You know if your child is developing normally

LadyMetroland Mon 08-Oct-12 22:33:58

Home counties btw

RubberNeckerNicker Mon 08-Oct-12 22:34:16

Nope nothing from 6 weeks on here

vez123 Mon 08-Oct-12 22:34:32

We are in South London and just went to the 2 year check today. We had to phone them up ourselves though to get it arranged. You can find all the stuff they go through in your child's red book.

RubyrooUK Mon 08-Oct-12 22:37:46

Thanks everyone.

I will have a look in the red book to see if it's mentioned in there. I always thought you just shoved that red book at the back of the drawer till vaccination time. Oops.

Not too worried about the check - just read another thread with almost everyone saying their child had one. So I worried I was somehow being rubbish in not having managed to sort one out.

bellabelly Mon 08-Oct-12 22:39:31

I'm in Kent and my twin dds turned 2 recently. We got a letter a few weeks ago with appt date for 2-year check. I didn't request it - had totally forgotten about checks as haven't seen an HV since the girls were about 6 months. Am quite keen to find out how they look on those graphs in the red books and there's a couple of things I want to talk to the HV/nurse about. Maybe just varies from area to area - worth phoning the clinic to ask?

bellabelly Mon 08-Oct-12 22:40:23

OOps - cross-post

gallicgirl Mon 08-Oct-12 22:44:58

I think we had a letter from nursery which suggested they did it there at around 2.5 years. Not sure if nursery assess or the HV comes in. It's a few months off yet so will query it later.

EugenesAxe Mon 08-Oct-12 22:45:39

In Surrey here; when DS was 2 and a half years I got a list from HVs saying 'We expect most two year olds with normal development to be able to do blah blah blah (grouped by skill type). Contact us if you've any concerns.'

That is curtailed, but essentially what was said. I kept the list so could scan and PM you if you like?

I'm pretty sure onus is on your 0-17 team ( or whatever they're called) to contact you so don't think you've done wrong if you haven't heard.

xkcdfangirl Mon 08-Oct-12 22:51:38

I'm in the Bristol area and we had a letter with a list like Eugenes at about 2.2yrs - it came with a form and a pre-addressed envelope for us to either tick a box saying "I have no concerns" or "I'd like to see a health visitor" - DS was doing all the things on the list to some extent - and where he was behind it didn't seem like a big deal as every child is different, so we just ticked the "No concerns" box. I guess each local authority deal with it slightly differently.

bluesmile10 Mon 08-Oct-12 22:54:09

We've just had 2.3 month check. We had letter with appt time. To be honest, complete waste of time, it was held in s group - 10 2 yr olds and parents and 1 hv and 1 nursery nurse. From the little contact they had with the children they were apparently meant to be able to see how their speech was etc!!! No red books looked at or weighing! To be honest, I really couldn't see the point! I'm in Wiltshire!

steppemum Mon 08-Oct-12 23:08:17

we were told that they have changed the guidelines, and they now only do the 2 year check if the parents request it

steppemum Mon 08-Oct-12 23:11:11

Oh sorry that is wrong! we were invited to a helath visitor day. The children's centre was open with severla health visitors, each one manned (womaned??) a stall, one for food, one for teeth, one for ?? So that you could ask questions. You got your bookbag somewhere. There was a place for weighing and measuring, and a free smoothie for the kids.
If we wanted a proper 2 year old check we had to request it.

MonsterBookOfTysons Mon 08-Oct-12 23:14:28

2.6years here. Get bookbag and dc plays

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now