Talk

Advanced search

Sleep pattern? What sleep pattern?!!!

(1 Post)
MrsHelenBee Sun 07-Oct-12 21:39:49

I'm so fortunate in that my DS started sleeping through for 10-11hrs when he was weeks old. We quickly got to the stage too where we could put him down wide awake and, after anything from 1-10mins he'd got himself off to sleep.

Occasinally, he used to wake and quietly chatter to his toys, then go back off to sleep, but that rally was ususual. Since then, we've only had 3 occasions when he woke up and cried, and even then he settled back down after just a few minutes and a cuddle.

During the day, he's usually go down between 10:30 and 11 for around an hour, then have another similar length nap at around 3:30-4.

I know we're very lucky to have had a year like that, and my husband and I have said so often that we can't believe how lucky we are to have such a placid baby. His nature when he's awake is lovely too, always smiling and happy, very seldom unhappy.

But, in the last 6 weeks, this pattern - which he totally made himself - has gone completely out of the window and we don't know whether it's down to teeth, his age, or that he simply isn't going to be so placid any more.
He only wants one nap most days now, which isn't a problem and I wouldn't expect him to need as much sleep now he's 14 months, but he goes down a lot later and takes anything up to 2 hours to go off to sleep. He wakes every night at least 4 times - again, never unhappy or upset - but he's absolutely WIDE AWAKE, and chats, laughs and plays with his toys for anything between 30 minutes to 2 hours.

We know it could be a lot worse and that he could be yelling his head off every time he wakes, but it's so frustrating, and we get up in the mornings now with the same kind of black lines we had when he was just a few days old.

Is this the way things will be now?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now