Talk

Advanced search

OK, I have a shrieker, what can be done?

(13 Posts)
ThursdayNextIsMyHero Sat 06-Oct-12 07:42:01

Ds2 (10 months) has learnt a new skill from ds1 (thanks for that, ds1), shrieking. Very, very loudly, and ear-piercingly shrill. It's mostly when he's in his high-chair, but doesn't seem to be a "feed me now mummy" noise. It's bad enough at home, especially at 6.30 this morning, but it's getting embarrassing when we're out.

I'm really hoping this is just a phase he's going through, and this too shall pass, but what can I do in the meantime? Obviously we've tried saying no, and quietly, and ssshhh, but (also fairly obviously), he's little, and just carries on. Help!

Xmarksthespot Sat 06-Oct-12 08:20:07

Hi, we had what I called a screecher (7 mos) for a couple of weeks, and OH only just noticed the other day that he'd stopped doing it. We ignored it as nothing worked. We'd yell, sssh, distract etc and he'd stop for a second, look at us and carry on. Drove us mental but I think its just a passing phase. He's now onto blowing rasberries - less annoying thank god! I think when they figure out they can do something they do it constantly until the novelty wears off.

Bibs123 Sat 06-Oct-12 12:13:38

My DD statred doing this around the same age, a sudden, shrill scream, our nerves were on edge. She is now 12 months and still does it but very infrequently now. We went on holiday and she was doing it none stop, especially when it was quiet and in public places! We ignored it and it does seem to have worked (almost!) She only seems to do it now at times of extreme bordom, the last time was at the end of a big Morrisons shop. It's not as fun if nobody reacts!

ZuleikaD Sat 06-Oct-12 18:45:02

DS does it quite a lot. We ignored it at first but have now resorted to saying 'no! no shrieking!' as he's nearly 2 and quite capable of understanding!

lljkk Sat 06-Oct-12 18:51:51

Just chat back quietly, model the normal way to talk.

JeuxDEnfants Sat 06-Oct-12 18:54:33

It's a phase... Ignore it and when he's stopped, model the words or sign he could use them give him what he wants, he's still very young...

vamosbebe Sat 06-Oct-12 19:00:11

Our 10mo ds does the same, usually at home, but sometimes when we're out and about and he's happy; he doesn't shriek to show anger. Imho he's just finding his voice and seeing what different reactions he gets! Personally, I don't tell him to 'ssshhh', but dh does... to no effect! As lljkk suggested, just talk back at a normal voice level, things like "really? how many? were they blue? do you like shrieking? if you don't stop I'll fart" etc etc, in a soft tone.

SoulTrain Sat 06-Oct-12 19:04:35

Oh flipping Nora, that's reminded me that my DS did it. Bloody drove to me to distraction, started off with a nice cooey noise (which was on the back of 9 weeks of a moan that went on aaaaaaaaallll day and literally made me cry) and then quickly gained momentum to a ear piercing scream. People used to give me really disapproving looks. But then he just stopped. I'm not sure you can do anything at this age, just ignore. You have my sympathy!

ThursdayNextIsMyHero Sun 07-Oct-12 07:20:18

Thanks for the reassurance of (a noisy) normality. Here's hoping he'll get bored of it quickly.

MainlyMaynie Sun 07-Oct-12 09:36:10

We just ignored it and it went away. Then came back. Then went away again. Currently it has been replaced by a love of growling words as deeply as possible...

Ozziegirly Sun 07-Oct-12 11:16:15

DS did this at around 6-8ish months (can't remember) and he just stopped eventually. Was awful though, people would stare in cafes.

I used to say, thank goodness you're cute child.....

Japple Sun 07-Oct-12 11:55:42

...When my little daughter,Amy,went through that phase;her piercing shriek
could peel Paint off the walls.We were worried about it,had to keep her out of
Restaurants for awhile to avoid disturbing other diners.When she was in her
teens,a man tried to assault her...she instinctively let out her Trademark shriek
and everyone came to her aid.She said that her shriek has saved her a few times in her life.Jill.

mumah Sun 07-Oct-12 12:16:55

I have a shrieker too... My DS loved to shriek around 9/10months, especially in restaurants and shops. Sadly he clung to that phase for a while to the point of my DH saying he was to embarrassed to eat out anymore because of the noise my incredibly loud boy can manage. He seemed to drop it around 12months thank heavens.

Now at 18months we have frustrated shrieks if he isn't getting what he wants or can't reach a toy from the toy box, I'm praying this will pass again as his communication gets better before I am banned from Pizza Express by the DH again!! envy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now