Talk

Advanced search

How to stop thumb sucking?

(5 Posts)
Bigwuss Fri 05-Oct-12 21:16:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BumbleBee2011 Fri 05-Oct-12 21:58:16

My sisters and I all sucked various fingers quite late (probably as we moved halfway across the world at a young age). Our patents recognised it as a coping mechanism and just let us get on with it, didn't try to make us stop as such, just said it wasn't good for our teeth/fingers. I think peer pressure eventually made us stop doing it outside the home, and it just sort of gradually stopped by the time we were 11/12.

I do sympathise, kids can be quite mean, and it is addictive behaviour so it's not easy to stop sad

Bigwuss Fri 05-Oct-12 22:05:45

PoptartPoptart Fri 05-Oct-12 22:15:53

You could try painting her thumb with that nail varnish solution that tastes horrible (usually used to stop nail biting) as that would act as a reminder if she does it subconsciously at school. At night how about gloves in bed to stop her sucking in her sleep, or those thumb guard contraptions you can get. Obviously at the age of 10 she will need to cooperate which might be tricky if she doesn't really want to stop

Bigwuss Sat 06-Oct-12 09:56:36

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now