Talk

Advanced search

Routine or go with the flow? Toddler & baby

(10 Posts)
Littleraysofsunshine Fri 05-Oct-12 16:21:16

What do you do?

BeyondLimitsOfTheLivingDead Fri 05-Oct-12 16:50:33

Completely going with the flow, I'm not a routine-y type of person at the best of times. I'm just about now (DS1 is 2 and DS2 is 5m) starting to think about what we want to do on particular days, but regarding waking up, naps, eating, sleeping, bathing, play, whatever else, we just play it by ear smile

Hpbp Fri 05-Oct-12 20:46:09

Same questions in my head. I was thinking about getting a very comfy pram/pushchair for DC2 -only 9 week old - so that we can take DC1 - almost 4 yo- out to museums or walks on week ends. Or leave DC1 to DH and stay at home with DC2 if the weather is very bad. We will try both solutions and see which one works best for me and the kids.

chocolatetester1 Fri 05-Oct-12 20:49:34

I'm set on routine and I'm not clever enough to think of my own so I follow tizzie hall. She's v big in oz. IMO she's fabulous. Her method got ds1 sleeping through so we've used it on ds2 since getting home from the hospital. It's fab, I've got my evenings back straight away although they're a bit short at the mo - 7-9.30 - but ds2 is only 4 weeks old so I'm sure they'll get longer!

Mich100 Fri 05-Oct-12 22:00:40

Bit of both. smile

changeforthebetter Fri 05-Oct-12 22:06:52

Seriously? Keep them both alive, fed, watered, milked, nappied. Anything else and you are superwoman <veteran of the newborn/toddler combo grin> Anyone who dare criticise you is dust, you hear me? grin

I hate books and routines - look at your kids, look at what suits you and go with it - it gets different better!

FredFredGeorge Fri 05-Oct-12 22:56:56

I'm with changeforthebetter anything that keeps everyone alive and healthy is a good thing.

I would never try to impose a routine on someone else - even a baby, and I certainly would detest a routine which constrained me - "Oh no, sorry I can't meet Aunt Maude on her only 2 hours in the country for the next year 'cos little willy is napping then."

So much easier to have everyone flexible - sleep when tired, eat when hungry, bath when dirty.

needanswers Fri 05-Oct-12 22:59:58

Flow.

MsFlippingHeck Sat 06-Oct-12 08:55:22

After going with the flow with dc1 and nearly losing my sanity I love how dc2 has fallen into our little routine naturally. I think if you have a rough structure for the day it's easier as everyone knows what's going on. Ours has evolved naturally around dc1's wakeups, meals and bedtime. It's a more baby friendly day. I had no idea what I was doing with dc1.

Littleraysofsunshine Sun 07-Oct-12 10:37:28

I like to try and be relaxed with it. We have a 18.5 week old and 23m old.

I have been stressing a bit lately as dd1 has changed her temperament in the respect that she is SO upset/frustrated. And gone off her food. So I worry when she doesn't eat and when she's getting sad. (She's had four molars come through in 8 weeks and one is still popping through and now has twos more coming) so this is probably a factor.

But we usually have a slight routine with like play groups three ones a week, I make sure she tries to have breakfast and lunch ( but she doesn't lately and just prefers to nap some days) and with sleep I have kept te same rough routine with that she goes to bed about 7:/7:15 pm and she sleeps through.

I want to continue relaxed parenting but to some extent I think we need routine? But someone's I think she knows what's next before I do?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now