Talk

Advanced search

Tips for introducing a new baby to toddler....

(4 Posts)
LaCiccolina Fri 05-Oct-12 14:45:09

HI, Im due with No2dd in Jan. No1DD is possessive of me. I didnt think particularly odd, just assumed all are/were. Now she hates me petting the cat. Heaven forbid he sits next to me or I pick him up. Im now getting more worried about bringing home No2dd and how to handle it. She will be 2yrs at December. I was at a friends yesterday and held her newborn and DD1 went nuts. Tears and trying to push her way onto my lap. I thought well shes not used to seeing me hold any other child but friend seemed to think she would have a serious issue.

Do you think Im over reacting? Its been a shite year, our own annus horribilus and the thought of the first weeks (please god not months) of next year being as bad is getting me down....

Other experiences please.....and ideas. Ta xxx

Ameybee Fri 05-Oct-12 14:59:55

Definitely buy her a proper doll from the baby of her own to hold etc, we did that & our daughter holds and feeds her baby when I feed our little boy who is 2 weeks. I thought she'd really struggle but she's done great. Just talk about baby coming loads & what's going to change etc. good luck xx

chocolatetester1 Fri 05-Oct-12 20:28:13

In the 5 or so months leading up to the birth if my second ds, I spent a lot of time explaining that we touch babies gently and holding friends' babies as much as poss. Ds1 got used to it after a while and it's definitely helped as he now tells me that we 'do gentle stroking on babies', he's 2. He isn't always gentle, but he is getting there. Best purchases were a pressie for the baby to give ds1 when they first met and a cushion shaped like a car. It encourages him to sit on his own on the sofa while I feed ds2. We sit next to each other with our own special cushions, rather than him trying to clamber onto my lap while I bf. I'm sure your DC will get used to the changes if you start prepping now. Good luck.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 06-Oct-12 15:51:20

Get some books on having a new baby, like the Usborne one.

Get a doll for DC1 to play with.

Pack a wrapped present in your hospital bag, something you are pretty sure DC1 will love. When they come to the hospital make sure DC2 is in the crib with the toy for DC1.

Get yourself a sling so that you can have DC2 close whilst still running after DC1 at playgroup etc. Try getting along to a slingmeet before the birth so that you can try some on.

There are some more tips here.

You'll be fine though I'm sure. Sorry to hear that you've had such a bed year but things are likely to get much better and you'll have all those lovely newborn cuddles to look forward to and if its any consolation I thought my DC1 would go mad with me but he took all his anger out on his Dad grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now