Talk

Advanced search

2 week old constantly feeding!

(9 Posts)
Ameybee Fri 05-Oct-12 09:26:50

Please someone remind me this is normal! 2 week old little boy (my second) has started breastfeeding every 1.5 hours day & night! I'm so tired and nipples now sore when they weren't previously. He feeds properly & doesn't fall asleep, isn't sick etc, do we think it could be the 3 week growth spurt a bit early (he was 9 days late?) thanks xxx

GailTheGoldfish Fri 05-Oct-12 09:41:38

Sounds normal, I have an 11 week old and lots of the other new mums I know have or had this. Only thing I can suggest if it helps is don't let him snooze and feed, keep him awake so he gets more, otherwise I think you just have to go with it. How heavy is he?

GodisaDJ Fri 05-Oct-12 09:52:07

Growth spurts are not set in stone at certain times. Ultimately, they double their birth weight in a very short period of time so if he is feeding every 1.5 hours then it sounds like your ds is in the middle of one wink

Get yourself on the sofa, box set and remote control, large glass of water and some snacks and ride it out grin

Can you ask someone in RL to help with other things baby related or to give you an hour off?

Get some lansinhol cream for your nipples too (that is if you think latch is right as that is normally the reason for cracked nipples)

Ameybee Fri 05-Oct-12 09:57:06

He was 7lb13 when born, only lost 5% and was up to 8lb 2 last Monday. I think it's the frequency of feeding that's making them sore. Got some lanisoh and paracetamol!! Health visitor came yesterday n told me to wake him every 2 hours during day to feed in hope that might help. My little girl is at nursery this morning so going to attempt some sleep & give baby to daddy for a couple of hours! Thanks ladies x

GodisaDJ Fri 05-Oct-12 10:13:00

Sounds like you are doing an amazing job OP wink

Have a nice little rest this morning

GailTheGoldfish Fri 05-Oct-12 11:14:53

Yep, sounds like you are doing great. Hang on in there!

GailTheGoldfish Fri 05-Oct-12 11:16:01

Oh and cultivate the skill of feeding while lying down! That has saved my sanity!

QuintessentialShadows Fri 05-Oct-12 11:16:57

That is in his job description! grin

It is normal...

Ameybee Fri 05-Oct-12 13:44:11

You would think I'd know it being my second but bf didn't work out for us first time as me and DD were both poorly - she had bronchilitis n I had chest infection that took 3 lots of antibiotics to clear, when she was better she fed round the clock n I got more n more poorly so we had to formula feed - I also had PND by this stage. So this is probably why I'm more cautious about doing things right this time. Only other thing I thought could help is offering both breasts at each feed, however he seems zonked after one side n it's not like he's still rooting or doesn't settle? Going to a breast feeding group next week, thought a bit of support might help reassure me that things could be much better & different this time round! Thanks for all the replies xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now