Advanced search

Advice needed regarding referral for possible ADHD/ODD

(8 Posts)
stripeytiger Thu 04-Oct-12 12:44:15

Am hoping someone can give me some advice regarding what the process would be if your child has symptoms/signs of ADHD or ODD.

I have adopted the watch and wait policy with my ds over the last 18 months but finally took him to the GP in early July. GP was sympathetic and said he would make a referral. We received, and have attended an appointment with a Specialist Social Worker. It was ok - she was nice, listened and wrote lots of notes. She concluded that there was nothing wrong with ds and would we like another appointment! I don't know what to make of this. I have decided to keep a diary and go for a further appointment but feel that my concerns weren't really addressed.

I'm just wondering if this is the standard procedure or what others have experienced.


stripeytiger Thu 04-Oct-12 13:14:11


tigersmummy Thu 04-Oct-12 13:20:51

I have no experience as yet of my child being diagnosed but recently have wondered whether DS does have ADHD. We have been advised by his reception teachers that whilst he is good at focusing on a 1:1 basis he struggles to concentrate in a group setting. They have suggested a psychologist to assess him. Anyway, I wanted to reply to you and let you know that I will watch this thread with interest and wish you all the best.

stripeytiger Thu 04-Oct-12 13:35:39

Thank you Tigersmummy. Hopefully others will be alone soon to give us both some advice.

EBDTeacher Thu 04-Oct-12 14:08:58

A social worker, however specialist she is, can't diagnose your DS with anything and equally can't say 'there is nothing wrong with him'. It's different in different areas but you need a referal to CAMHS to trigger off the formal assessment process in your area.

Go over to the Special Needs boards, there are a lot of very knowledgable people there who will have advice. Sadly it can be a real fight to get the support you need.

Tiggles Thu 04-Oct-12 16:01:10

When we lived in S. Wales the Specialist Social Worker was the doorway into CAMHS, she decided if you needed further investigation by a psychiatrist etc.

My DS has Aspergers but when he was being assessed for AS the assessors thought he might also have ADD. I had always thought of his ADD symptoms as part of his AS. So they kind of referred him to themselves, rather than me referring him, iyswim. They gave me a questionnaire to fill in, got the school to fill one it, a specialist in ADHD observed him in school etc.

If you feel there is an issue, definitely keep a diary and go to another appointment. Sometimes it isn't until we write things down that we realise how often (or possibly how rarely) a child is exhibiting a particular behaviour as it just becomes 'normal' for them.

adoptmama Thu 04-Oct-12 19:22:35

I've never heard of a social worker being used to diagnose something as complex as ODD. If you continue to be worried I would absolutely look for a referral to an ed. psych or child psychologist.

stripeytiger Fri 05-Oct-12 10:58:10

Thanks for the replies. Computer was playing up last night so couldn't get back on to read the replies.

Have just looked at the appointment letter and it does say CAMHS after the Social Worker's name so I presume she is part of the team. I will keep a diary and definitely keep the next appointment. Will also have a look in Special needs threads.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: