Talk

Advanced search

Using letter names, or sounds, or both?

(7 Posts)
CondoleezzaRiceKrispies Wed 03-Oct-12 17:21:51

DD has started to get into letters, and she knows the names of three or four (so E is 'ee' etc). She also likes to watch us write her name, where we use the sounds of the letters (like Alphablocks).

Is this the right thing to do? We're not interested in hothousing her or anything, I just don't want to confuse her by there being two 'versions' of each letter.

vodkaanddietirnbru Wed 03-Oct-12 18:35:18

I told mine the names of the letters and the sound they make so probably the same as what you are doing.

ZuleikaD Wed 03-Oct-12 18:37:42

We started with A for Apple (ie the phonic sound) when DD was about 2 and starting to be curious, and then later on she was able to learn the alphabet song and is now (3.4) getting to grips with the fact that each letter has both a name and a sound.

sleeplessinderbyshire Wed 03-Oct-12 18:37:55

we do a mix of both (a bit like explaining this is a lion it says roar, this is letter B it sounds b-)

CondoleezzaRiceKrispies Thu 04-Oct-12 11:19:06

Thanks!

sparkle12mar08 Thu 04-Oct-12 14:12:59

We always went down the track of "This letter name is B(bee) and it sounds like b" Teach her from the beginning that the sound a letter makes is not the same as it's name. But please make sure that you are using the correct phonic sound and mouth form for each letter and not just buh, cuh, duh etc, otherwise shell have to re-learn it all again in reception smile

CondoleezzaRiceKrispies Thu 04-Oct-12 15:39:50

Yes sparkle, I get what you mean. Alphablocks is very handy. Although not as good as Numtums. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now