Talk

Advanced search

Bum shuffler's

(20 Posts)
Nancyclancy Tue 02-Oct-12 13:01:50

My dd is almost 17 months and has just started to bum shuffle. She's never crawled, doesn't cruise or pull herself up. She has only just learnt to roll over.

She's been seen by a paediatrician and had a blood test which came back clear and there seems to be no cause for concern.

So I am interested to hear from parents of other bum shuffler's. Did your dc's just get up and walk one day? Were they 'late walkers?'

mummytime Tue 02-Oct-12 13:23:15

I have two bum shufflers. However I don't see how a blood test could be much help to see if there is an issue, and 17 months seems late to start bum shuffling.
One of mine went from 6 months of bum shuffling (12 -18 months roughly) to almost walking, but instead put in one month of crawling. The other bum shuffled for a long time, and then started to walk.
The first is a little clumsy/heavy footed but otherwise has great co-ordination. The second has struggled to ride a bike, but also can still at 9 years suck her own toes.

I would watch out in future for signs of dyspraxia, and other co-ordination issues. I would also want to be sure that there was no hip issues or muscle weakness.

Sorry not to be more positive but it is such a sign of issues, and at 17 months she is already getting into the late walker stage.

Hersetta Tue 02-Oct-12 13:24:43

Can't answer but interested as my 14 month old DS is a bum shuffler. He started at around 11 months and currently pulls himself up to kneeling but that's it. I am expecting him to be a late walker - his Dad was a bum shuffler too and walked at around 20 months.

DeWe Tue 02-Oct-12 13:48:06

I was told that on average bum shufflers walk 6 months later than crawlers.

Nevercan Tue 02-Oct-12 13:51:16

My friends bun shuffled started to lift herself up halfway for a while and then started walking but fairly late on

insanityscratching Tue 02-Oct-12 13:53:57

Dd was a bum shuffler from 15 months, she was late rolling and sitting too. She could move at incredible speed and always had her hands free so it seemed a pretty good way to get about really. She never crawled but at 18 months in the space of a week she got on her knees and then stood and cruised and finally walked. Within the space of a month she was running and climbing like all her cousins who had been walking for six months.

Hanleyhigh Tue 02-Oct-12 13:55:18

I had two.

dd - walked at around 19 months IIRC
ds - about 22/23 months

Neither ever crawled. I remember the relentless pressure from others, "Is he/she walking yet" as being hard to take. The HV also failed ds's 18 month check and wanted to give him a blood test but I decided I'd only opt for that if he wasn't walking at over two so had to avoid her for a while.

They're 9 and 10 now and both walk/cycle fine smile.

Poppystar1 Tue 02-Oct-12 13:56:34

My dd is 22 months old and started bum shuffling at about 14 months, never pulled up or cruised and would pull up her legs if I tried to stand her up. HVs and gp were all very dismissive of it. At 19 months a new gp referred her to a paedeatrician who confirmed she had very lax ankle and hip joints and low muscle tone. She has been having physio for the last 3 months and after just the first session was able to stand herself up and sit down. She is now walking holding hands and doing really well. We had to buy her supportive ankle boots to give her a bit of help, and she's going for a Piedro boot fitting tomorrow, though they envisage she'll only need them a short while.Having said that, some children do just get up and walk when they're ready but it's worth getting a second opinion just to put your mind at rest.

Nancyclancy Tue 02-Oct-12 14:05:56

Thank you for your replies. mummytime she had blood tests to rule out muscle wastage related illnesses. As way back on my dh side of the family there is a history. She is late, but believe it or not I have had to push to see a paed as even the Dr made me out to sound like I was just comparing her to others.

Hanleyhigh I can completely understand regarding pressure. I was a late walker and 4 of my nieces also walked late but they crawled, so slightly different.

Nancyclancy Tue 02-Oct-12 14:11:41

Thank you poppystar1 we are just about to start with physio so will be very interested to hear what they say.
My dd is very strong on her legs and if I help her to stand she'll happily stand for ages. It's a mystery really.
Having said that though, this last month she has made the most progress. I'm hoping physio will help and they'll give us suggestions too!

wentshopping Tue 02-Oct-12 14:22:23

DD1 was a bum shuffler, as was I. When she was ready, at around 22 months I think, she just got up and walked, and learned to crawl later.
I think it's just something some babies do so they can keep watching what is going on around them, rather than miss out on anything while they get on with crawling. However in your op you mention that she has only just started to roll over, so maybe get her checked out, but know in the back of your mind that some very intelligent babies just do their own thing smile
(DD1 is 16 now, nothing held her back when she got up on her feet)

pleasethanks Tue 02-Oct-12 14:34:04

My DD was a bum shuffler too (as was I). She didn't walk till she was 22 months. Pretty much got up and went for it one day. She had clicky hips as a baby, so physio were keeping an eye on her, but they were convinced she was happy shuffling and would get to walking when she wanted to.

Good luck and I hope physio is helpful

steben Tue 02-Oct-12 19:05:51

Dd was a bum shuffler - came as a bit of a shock as had no idea babies even did this! Never crawled then at 18 months just stood up and walked! Think she started shuffling about 12 months but she has always been big for her age so maybe that has something to do with it?

Karoleann Tue 02-Oct-12 21:14:18

Dc3 is also a bum shuffler and the same age (17 months), she started at around 11months. She's not walking, but she can stand unsupported and has been for 3 months. She also rolled and sat up late.
We had her checked by my husbands cousin who is an orthopediatic surgeon last month and she was fine, but she will not move her feet when she stands, so I think she's a couple of months off walking still.
She does also crawl - mainly up stairs.
Apparently I also bum shuffled.
My other two children crawled late, but walked at 12 months.

Biscuitsneeded Wed 03-Oct-12 13:43:11

DS1 bum shuffled from about 10 months, then walked at 14 months. He never crawled. He has no problems whatsoever, in fact he is more sporty than average despite having parents who can't even throw and catch. DS 2 crawled from 9 months, but had poor coordination and muscle tone, didn't walk till 18 months and has hypermobility issues and is worryingly clumsy/accident-prone now at age 5. So I don't think bum-shuffling is a sign of anything. Both niece and nephew on DP's side also bum shuffled and did not walk till 23 months. They are also completely fine.

Bayliss1 Sat 06-Oct-12 20:16:22

My dd was/is a bum shuffler and began at about 9 months. She's done no crawling. Now at 17 months has finally mastered walking. I was worried about her until recently as it is only the last 2 weeks that she has been able to get from a lying position to sitting. Bum shufflers tend to be later at walking as they are already in an upright sitting position when moving around, unlike crawlers. I wouldn't worry about your lo as all children are different. Just enjoy the shuffling as my dd is all over the place now!! Found her half way up the stairs tonight!!! Stair gate being fitting tomorrow!!!!

vespalover Sun 07-Oct-12 13:33:22

Our DS was a bum shuffled and we had lots of concern from HV although we never shared that concern. He had developmental tests and scans etc - all proved there was nothing wrong, as we suspected. When he started walking holding hands around the house, at about 16.5 months we just decided to try him walking everywhere and he went for it. Within a week was walking confidently inside and outside - there was no stopping him, try not to worry, I'm sure it will happen soon. As long as you have ruled out any medical problems ( as you have) then I think it's just a matter of time. I will be much more confident with HV if our next one is a bum shuffled too.

shushpenfold Sun 07-Oct-12 13:38:27

My dsis second ds was a bum shuffler.....a very accomplished one from 12-21 months....he could jump up pavements at this age. He walked at 21 months and has been incredibly strong and athletic ever since - could jump from floor to sofa on his bum at aged 4 and now aged 14 is a fabulous sportsman - county and national tennis etc. Having said that, he's a lazy sod when it comes to anything non-physical.

LeFreak Sun 07-Oct-12 14:15:59

DD bumshuffled at about 9 months but walked from 12 months. She never crawled.

Nancyclancy Sun 07-Oct-12 21:03:59

Thanks for replying. It was last Saturday that my dd discovered she could bum shuffle ( she only shuffled a tiny distance.) Now, just a week later she is shuffling at top speed around the house! grin She can wait bear perfectly ok. Our appt with physiotherapist is at the end of the month, which I'll take her to, but I'm really hoping this could be the start for her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now