Talk

Advanced search

Excessive crying when wakes up

(2 Posts)
Bushlillie Sun 30-Sep-12 08:44:09

I am not sure this is at all normal, and just want to find out if my 3yo DD is the only one that wakes up crying every single morning. I think she has probably only woken up without crying twice in her life. It normally takes me about 30 minutes to an hour to get her to calm down and start the day properly. If I ask her why she is crying, she always gives a different answer, and if I "sort out" whatever it is that she said she is crying about, then she cries about something else. I am getting very fed up with it, and am losing my patience. It is getting to me - it is very hard to have a positive day if it started off with so much negativity! The funny thing is, she is normally quite a happy little girl, it is just the first couple of hours in the morning that I really struggle... Any thoughts?

januarysnowdrop Sun 30-Sep-12 08:54:19

Poor you - what a horrible start to the day. My dd1 wasn't so bad in the mornings, but she used to be appalling after waking up from naps - cried for a good half hour or so and it always took ages to calm her down. This stopped when she dropped her naps, thank heavens. There isn't anything that could be routinely waking her up mid-sleep cycle, is there? That used to really cause problems for dd1, if she was woken before she was ready. I suspect the best thing is just to be really really nice & reassuring (and I do know how hard that can be when you're really sick of the situation!) & keep your fingers crossed that she'll grow out of it - I bet she will. Also, is it worth changing a few things about your first-thing-in-the-morning routine, just to maybe startle her out of her usual behaviour - I don't know, maybe bring her a drink or something, or start with a cuddle & singing a song, anything she might like. Oh I don't know! Lots of sympathy, though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now