Talk

Advanced search

5 year old DD & daft behaviour

(4 Posts)
vvviola Sun 30-Sep-12 07:09:09

DD2 is driving me nuts. She has always been a very exuberant child & very articulate (I suspect we expect her to behave better because of the conversations we can have with her).

But recently he behaviour has just got really daft - rolling around on the floor, making nonsense sounds, copying what other people are saying. She appears to have no sense of boundaries, of where her limbs are (which means her baby sister getting clobbered regulalry) Combine this with a complete inability to do what she is told until she has been asked about six times, and a tendency to whine, and I wonder where my lovely girl has gone.

Her behaviour at school seems fine, yes the teacher says she's enthusiastic and chatty, but doesn't seem to have any other issues. I wouldn't have believed it but I saw her sit quietly with her class for almost an hour at an assembly without moving (just chatting a little). I've stopped going to church with her as I just can't seem to get her to sit still for a second.

(I will admit that I have a low tolerance for daftness at the best of times, and as an introvert I find her stream-of-consciousness chatter wearing)

I need some tips for how to calm her down & how to help me deal with the parts of it that are just "being 5" because I'm not having fun with her any more & I miss the lovely girl she was sad I just seem to spend my whole time telling her to stop
(I've tried ignoring - it just gets louder & sillier, I've tried recognising positive behaviour which works to a point, but it's hard to do that when it feels like there has been no positive behaviour at all sad )

CrapBag Sun 30-Sep-12 08:01:34

Is it because she has to sit so still and quiet in school that she is letting off steam at home?

No experience other than DS who is 4 can be like this. I must admit I find silliness quite grating tbh. I just put it down to him being young and try not to expect too much. He is pretty intelligent and we have been able to have full conversations with him since he was just under 2 years old so we do forget that he is still young. I just let him be a child and try to ignore it.

poachedeggs Sun 30-Sep-12 08:05:35

Feeling your pain! It's much worse since starting school. I think their little brains are in overdrive and it comes out as impulsive, hyper behaviour. We get silly voices, flapping hands and thoughtless crashing around.

I think this is what they do. But it's really rough.

vvviola Sun 30-Sep-12 10:43:33

Yes poachedeggs that's exactly what DD is like too.

I hadn't noticed it starting when she started school - but it has certainly got a lot worse. That might be contributing I suppose.

We move next week to a house with a garden, so I'm hoping she might work off some of her excess energy out there... less chance of her doing herself or someone else an injury!

I wish I had some other calming techniques though, for when it just can't be ignored any longer... sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now